1 Trailer hub running 15° hotter?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by double yellow, Aug 31, 2014.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Ambient temp 85, all trailer hubs ~105° except one at ~120°. Brake shoes/drums all within a few degrees of each other, same for tires. No sign of grease leaking. It was not running hotter before...

Is there anything else I can check (without a jack)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Without jacking it up and ck. endplay in bearings all you can do is pull hub cap off and drain what will run out into cutoff jug, then look at lube an replace lube with name brand hub oil and ck. temp again.

double yellow Thanks this.
  4. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

as long as you can hold your hand on the hub with out buring your hand you are OK, as off course there is oil in the hub

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I have had a hub run hot on a trailer when a bearing set was tightened by guess instead of by torque setting, the mechanic ran up and borrowed a torque wrench and adjusted it right, and that fixed it.

Just worked on or a sudden change in temperature for no apparent reason?

6. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Nothing there to worry about, in my opinion. Could be one brake a little tighter, different type / weight oil in hub. If oil in hub, and not leaking, and no hotter than 120 degrees, I do not see a bad problem.

7. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    No apparent reason. Did it again today & I also noticed I'm not getting the mileage I expected this trip so I'm going to have it checked out Tuesday...

8. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Update: had a TA jack up that axle and check things out. The wheels spun freely, seemed to be true, and the hub still had plenty of grease.

The TA mechanic just shrugged and stuffed another tube of grease inside the cap and put it back on -- obviously that wasn't going to do anything.

He also checked the brake, but it was fine. No surprise since a) that drum & shoes was the same temp as the others & b) the wheel spun freely

In the past week the temperature differential has increased -- it is now running 30-35 degrees hotter than the rest (140-145 F vs 105-110). Guess its time to find a drivetrain or alignment specialty shop because I can't imagine it going away or getting better... Anyone have any recommendations west of the Mississippi?

9. wedge542

wedge542 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    roll tide
    while its still warm stick a finger in the hole get some fluid on it, wipe it on a rag and hold rag in light to see if any shiny, if so pull and ck bearings-races be sure to clean and ck inner bearing race, look for discoloration, try to use syn dope back in there, its very important to seat [150-180] back off one round torque to spec for your setup-ie if two nuts inner nut to 55ft lbs, while there ck shoes return springs see if stretched any, look at drums outside for flacky light brown color and compare to other drums, if excessive replace shoes drum hardware for stretched springs allowing shoes to touch while rolling.

10. Groo

Groo Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I'd also guess bearings.

11. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Just for clarification, since there seems to be some confusion, is this a grease-packed hub? Not a more typical, modern set up with the plastic window, a red(usually) filler cap, that runs 75-90 oil? I think it's great that you are really on top of watching this, I recently was witness to a fire caused likely by a wheel bearing running dry. It's not a good thing to have happen. Unfortunately I don't know much about how to diagnose, or treat the old grease packed hubs, but if you verify that's what you have, I know there are lots here who can help you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.