1-truck hazmat?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by The PHD in truckin!, Jan 21, 2019.

1. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Hey there cats. Deacon Blue here with a question about authority. I'm into my 9th month with my own authority now. (I can hear the applause) But it's just common carrier status. I actually have a hazmat license and have previously done hazmat transport with other companies before becoming independent. My question is what will the costs of upgrading to hazmat authority be, and will I bear it comfortably with just a single truck

Ruthless Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    From my readings... I think Insurance may be your cost concern.

TylerVS Thanks this.
  4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You figure it's going to be probably a 5 million dollar policy & I don't believe you will make enough money being a 1 truck operation plus more regulation getting the authority. A one truck operation needs to lease onto a larger hazmat carrier if the revenue is right.

5. The PHD in truckin!

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah man that's what I was thinking too As it stands, my insurance is running about 1500 a month for 1mil general and 150k on cargo. The amount on cargo was an overshoot but I did that cuz one of my ol buddies is hotshottin campers and boats .... he told me his customers required that if hauling boats. Now if only I could find a 53 step deck

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I believe for hazmat you need at least that.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Avoid table one items and you can do hazmat with 1 Million and a registration number. Table one bring on 5 Million and the H M Safety Permit too.....

WHY, it doesn't pay. You heard the old adage "how to end up with a million dollars in the trucking business; Start with two....well make it three -or- more if you are hazmat.....

8. The PHD in truckin!

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Hey man that's a good one. Nah man I'm just gonna let a couple of my closest comrades run a few hotshot rigs staying in Texas (probably oilfield hotshot), under my numbers. Keep it simple huh

9. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Last time I asked my insurance broker to quote me a rate he laughed. Granted I was asking about bulk liquid, but as a new entrant with years hazmat experience, I was quoted $40,000 year. That was a $5 mil policy ($2 mil first and 3 mil umbrella) and $250,000 cargo I think.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    :biggrin_2556::biggrin_25521:

11. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    It certainly ended that thought exercise real fast. :eek:

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.