1 year exp. Companies ?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Danhubbard93, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Danhubbard93

Danhubbard93 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ok so I started in March with dry van. First company out of school couldn't give me a roadworthy truck. I should mention I know what I can and can't and shouldn't try to drive, and they we're looking to take advantage of a new guy. Then I went to Schneider for seat time. Honestly not many complaints besides the radar box that hits the brakes because of a shadow or a cone on the shoulder and the account I was on didn't pay what they thought (it was a new account) but they wouldn't let me switch to OTR because I was one of the best on that account. Supposedly I had to say I'm gonna quit to get them to do it, so i just actually quit. Now I'm at a local family owned flatbed company in Allentown, hauling covered wagons. The equipment is pathetic but I run it. They don't have steady work, but won't look for anything else because they want to keep Sapa aluminum happy. However rumor has it that one of our drivers keeps causing problems at customers, on the road, is late all the time, etc.. and we're gonna lose the account, which unfortunately they have their whole business reliant on this account. It pays ####, and I want to go out more than a week, not 4-5 days. I don't mind it either but when I'm making percentage of the pie, I don't want garbage for pie, ya know? So now I'm almost at a year of experience and I'm starting to look for a company that has their sh** together. Im buying my own truck eventually so it doesn't have to be perfect, I know none of them are. But I'm a hard runner and yet I can't seem to find the right fit. I do what I have to do, I'm friendly, early to appointments. But this truck is sad, their trailers are sad, I'm embarrassed to drive for these guys. I get along with all our customers and my company is hated. I want something better, for I do not fall into the same category as these guys. I take pride in what I do and am very professional. Where's a company I should look into?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    Holland enterprises. I live in Pittsburgh. I love it here. Rarely under 3000 miles

Chinatown and Danhubbard93 Thank this.
  4. Danhubbard93

Jan 28, 2018
    Noted, still open to more suggestions. It's a shame my company isn't what my dad's friend made it out to be. They drove together for years, and he told me to go to these guys. They're honestly great to me, but that doesn't quite cut it right now. If there was a way I could find us an account worth running I'd stay, but I'm not gonna tell someone how they should run their business. I hate to leave, ya know? I'm staying for another month or two before jumping ship so I have a good year of driving

5. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    I drive for Magnum out of North Dakota. OTR reefer.

Pay by performance. Up to 50 cpm. 5 cpm bonus for hazmat loads. Miles are calculated with PC miler. Paid on all empty and loaded miles.

2016 and newer trucks. The way forward is all automatic. We're pretty close to that. All Peterbilt 579s. APU, fridge, 2800w inverters, TV antenna and mount.

We are dispatched, but usually we have options of where to go when outbound from Fargo/Minneapolis.

We have dashcams. Nothing facing the driver. We also have wingman driver assist technology.

You can also lease on here. But it's not advertised anywhere. You have to talk to the bossman first. We have several lease operators.

Check out our thread in the "favorite companies" forum. It's pretty active and there's a ton of info there.

I've been here for 18 months and I really like it here. Flexible home time (no set amount of days out or off). It's stable and plenty of work. Check out our thread.

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Great company. Pays “up to” $_____ per mile. :)

7. Danhubbard93

Jan 28, 2018
    Thanks, very helpful and informative. I looked at Holland but they want 2 years , I only have one. I do read that forum but I don't get a lot of time on the phone to spend sorting through the forums. A lot of them are more for entry level, and some want more exp. Than I have so I figured I'd just ask for a general direction. I might also add that I'm not driven by money, I mean it helps, but I'm more into the quality of life

8. Danhubbard93

Jan 28, 2018
    Haha I know right? Eh if I'm a good driver and they can rely on making money off me, I'm sure I'd get decent runs. Ya never know though

9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Dan I’m not trying to get a referral bonus or anything. I won’t even tell u my real name. But my company is Melton and they might be a good fit if you already know flatbed at all. They start experienced drivers at .49 per mile. I have been there 18 months and I’m pretty happy. I’ve had issues with retarded DM and load planners dropping the ball once in a while. But otherwise I’m happy.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call Holland Enterprises anyway; maybe luck out. Companies don't always go by what's on their website.
    M.C. VanKampen Trucking - Not sure they hire that far east, but worth checking out. Headquartered in Michigan.
    [​IMG]

11. Danhubbard93

Jan 28, 2018
    Melton is over at Sapa too, I heard they're pretty good. Problem is I have 4 months flatbed "experience" but it's all covered wagon, I have no clue how to use a regular tarp, binders, and I usually haul the same stuff so im not learning much here. Just coasting .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.