100% Biomass based Biodiesel at Loves

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by GlobalFM001, Mar 9, 2019.

1. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I was fueling up at Loves in Lodi CA, I noticed they had a sticker on the pump that read “100% biomass based biodiesel”
    Hadn’t noticed them there before, they must have switched recently.

Is there any negatives to fueling 100% biodiesel? Or is it all the same?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I’ve been told it requires more antigel if you end up going somewhere cold. I’m not sure if that is true or not.

4. GlobalFM001

Mar 9, 2019
    Interesting, the owner of the truck I drive has me put anti gel once temps hit 20 degrees

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I would not buy that. The higher the bio % the higher the temp it gels at. Also 1% of the bio% will be water. So for 100% biodiesel you'll actually have 1 gallon of water and 99 of diesel. Hope your water separator is in good shape...

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    You should have no problems with the fuel. That said, you may run into a few things. Filter plugging and higher temp for gel forming are the primary. You may also note a slight drop in MPG.

Biodiesel is actually an ester, not a distillate. Esters are forms of solvent. This will actually clean your fuel system of deposits left from petro-diesel, that’s what causes the filter plugging.

Depending on feed stock, it will have a slightly lower energy density. This will lead to slightly lower MPG. Maybe 1 or 2 tenths, more than that, something else may be going on.

Because it is sold for on highway use, you should not have to add any anti-gel, the retailer should have added it. Still, if your heading into some very cold locations, it would be a good precaution.

Water in any fuel is a problem, biodiesel is no different. All fuels have additives to help control this. Again like any fuel, not something that is a problem, if the the fuels are being used at a high rate. If it was in storage for a while, maybe.

Gutter and GlobalFM001 Thank this.
  7. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Espressolane,
    You gave a really great description on biodiesel. I for one did not fully understand exactly what or how biodiesel is. It really helps to know something about things that you do not understand. Thank you.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don’t think this is a Loves issue. I think it’s a California Loves issue. Maybe (probably) all truck stops in California must have this posted on the pumps now

9. GlobalFM001

Mar 9, 2019
    I’ll be going through Barstow in a week and will stop by the Loves there and check it out.

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    All SoCal locations I’ve been too have bio diesel. The issue I have with it is its cheaper to produce yet still costs a lot at the pump.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    A point of clarification.
    Biodiesel can be made from any fats based oil.
    After rendering animal fats, the resulting stock can be made into biodiesel. Typically biomass is plant based.
    Currently there really is no true standard for what biomass is. To say it is 100 percent biomass is more a marketing point than anything else.

In truth, combustible alcohols can be called bio-fuel.
    Alcohols come in several forms, some, like ethanol or methanol can be burned very easy. Sorbitol, an alcohol, is used as a sweetener, mostly in candy.
    The most common alcohol we used is white distilled vinegar.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.