100 Mile Exemption not 150?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mangdriver, Jan 5, 2018.

1. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Misinformation all over this thread.

Air mile is a nautical term. The is equivalent to 1.15 miles so you get a 115 mile radius from your home base.

State lines have no bearing on the local exemption for the FMCSA.

You can run a standard logbook while running under the local exemption. I used to run long 2-3 days a week and local the other days. It was simpler to just run a log book every day.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The sentence says 100 AIR miles.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    In legal terms Air mile = nautical mile. And since the regs are legal documents....
    I think the fmcsa guys meant 100 miles as the bird flies, but they used a well defined legal term of "air miles" in a legal regulation, so we get a few more miles out of it.
    Here is the guidance.

Question 12: What constitutes the 100-air-mile radius exemption?
    The term “air mile” is internationally defined as a “nautical mile” which is equivalent to 6,076 feet or 1,852 meters. Thus, the 100 air miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles or 185.2 kilometers.

kylefitzy and snowwy Thank this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Exactly.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Exactly. The FMCSA only has jurisdiction over interstate commerce, because the Constitution only granted the federal government regulatory powers over interstate commerce. If you aren't crossing state lines, you aren't interstate and intrastate rules apply instead. Your state might mirror the federal regs, or they might allow you longer or more flexible hours, or they might be more stringent...all depends upon the state...but the fact of the matter remains that those who think the FMCSA's 100-air-mile exemption doesn't apply if you cross a state line simply do not understand the limited scope of the FMCSA's jurisdiction. The federal government cannot regulate commerce that happens within a single state.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I might just go 100% local too. First day on elogs yesterday now I have like 5 hos violations the thing is telling me. The problem is it’s stuck in drive mode I didn’t actually do that.

No break, no 10 hour reset, no post trip been driving like 20 hours straight according to that.

Yeah I’m just running paper today and dodging dot.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I could be wrong but i think it only switches when drive mode occurs. You have to switch it back to next duty status. You can't edit drive time. I"m not sure about when the vehicle shuts off. I haven't had to use an eld for over 4 years now.

9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Yeah I have to set it to on duty or off duty. It just wouldn’t let me because it said I was in motion when I was parked.

I’m just using paper now. Whatever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.