102" whip installation on my car...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by phroziac, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kc0iv

kc0iv Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Parkville, Mo
    Setting here twice a day. Fun reading some these ideas.

kc0iv
    leon

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
  4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Don't forget the tennis ball to protect the car.... LOL

[​IMG]

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I wasn't implying ALL hammers were arrogant......they are not......just for the record:D

Big_m Thanks this.
  6. California roadrunner

California roadrunner Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2015

7. California roadrunner

Oct 12, 2015
    Ok, I just read all the posts on this subject today and wanted to say thanks to Volvo 2244t and Cnsper for the good pictures of driffent ways of mounting a 102 stanless steel whip on a car.

The pictures of where to mount the antenna on a car shows that there are a lot of ways to do this.In Cnspers picture it shows a very safe way to mount that antenna and a lot of people do it that way.Ok, let's talk about this way first. We all ready know that cnspers antenna is directional too the front cornner of his truck and yes it will work this way but mounting the antenna this way can cause reflections off the side of the truck or car. If this is the way you go just remember that you have taken away it's abillity to work in 360 % but It is safer than Volvo 244t way.

The way Volvo 244t did it can be very unforgiving if you hit something but that antenna will out perform any other place you can put it. I think that it depends on what you want to do and your skill level. For me, performance is everything, I just need to find the milddle of the road and try to get the best of both worlds.

Some one said something about using any kind stainless steel for this and (will it work.) The answer is yes ! It doe's not matter on 11 meter frequencys, Perfornance with soft steel or heat treated 304 stainless steel will work. What doe's matter is where you mount it on your car and how long is the antenna element.They use Heat treated ss steel because you whant some flexibility of the antenna. Here's another thing about using stanless steel for any antenna. Not all stainless steel is non magnetic.

As far as the antenna go's for my van, I will be using aluminum 3/8 tube that is going to be 8.600 long which is a full 1/4 wave at 27.205 antenna. (channel 20) This will work better than a 102 whip but i can't be driving around with this antenna. I will use the aluminum antenna when i need it for mountan toping and a smaller one when am driving around town. Both will be interchangeable with the hard mount on top of the van. Roadrunner

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    It hits plenty of things. Low trees, low bridges, yadda. It's a steel whip, if it bends, I bend it back, if it breaks, oh well, I have a couple spares, they're cheap enough.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No, it won't. 102" is 8.5', so unless your car is unusually tall giving you a mounting point higher than 5' off the ground, you won't exceed 13'6". Even if you DID, though, nobody is going to care. The 102" whip I have mounted to my lower mirror bracket reached 15'6" before it got beat all to hell and the tip broke off. It's still well over 14' though. Nobody cares.

One thing you might want to keep in mind, though, is that all of the through-the-roof mounts I saw (recently reused a hole in the roof of a vehicle that had a cell phone antenna) for CB antennas were only rated to 4 or 5 foot antennas. There are some pretty slick ones with a special cable end that mounts up behind the headliner so that the interior stays nice and clean looking, which is nice if you aren't trying to completely butcher up the car. If you really want to have the 102" whip, make sure whatever mount you use is rated for that size antenna...because even if it manages to handle the wind without breaking while drivving down the road, the impacts from tree branches and other low-clearance objects won't be doing it any favors and you'll probably lose your antenna.

10. California roadrunner

Oct 12, 2015
    p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.