102" whip installation on my car...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by phroziac, Jan 8, 2010.

1. California roadrunner

California roadrunner Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2015
    The center frequency of 11 meters is 8.601 on channel 20 it is not 8.500 and my van height from the ground is 7'' higher than the statement you made. I really don't post information to people who don't care. I post informatiom to help other people that need help. Roadrunner

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. California roadrunner

Oct 12, 2015
    If anyone whant's to know about me and what i have done in the past with antennas you can google my web site on isolated four element beam project Roadrunner

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Where do you live in California? I'm originally from there

5. California roadrunner

Oct 12, 2015
    You know you might live in the same state as i do because half the people here are from California. Roadrunner

6. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    As to coupling the stereo AND the CB to the same antenna, you will regret it. First, it may attenuate (reduce) the receive of one or both radios resulting in poor reception. Second, most so-called "splitters" will not isolate that 250 watts from the AM/FM radio, and that 250 watts *may* bypass into the stereo and *POP!!!!!!!!! There went your audio transistors!!!!!!:eek::eek: It is NEVER a good idea to try to run two radios into the same antenna via coupling/splitters. The only way to do it is with a GOOD QUALITY, filtered switch that will isolate the radios from each other. And that, of course, keeps one from CBing and listening to James Taylor at the same time!;)
    I forgot to mention the last reason NOT to do this.:confused: A CB whip at 102" long resonates at 27 MHZ or thereabouts. An FM broadcast receiver is up around 88-108 MHZ, & is much shorter. making the long whip "out of tune" for that band. While it *may* work after a fashion (I doubt it), again, it will perform less well than if it had a 40-ish inch whip on the fender. You really should have two antennas and keep the twain separate!:rolleyes:

7. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    LOL!! Made my day lookin at this today...Thanks man, will heed your advice!!
    Dont wanna be broke down somewhere crying on the cb for help and have 14 volvos show up circlin' me like Im a fricken apache or something!!!!
    LOL

8. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    LOL,
    Take your ocilloscope and your synthesizers, and your walkie talkies and just stick them.....

Just kidding....
    I shouldnt be interrupting productive/interesting conversation..
    You guys are nutso tho.....lol

Just now back on the roads, and, man, it just sounds so terrible...Got to used to HD everything..I mean c.mon, IceRoad Truckers on High Def Plasma flatscreen with full Surround sound!..I forgot how tin-ny and midrangey it all sounds

9. jasone41197

jasone41197 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Is the Tram Tri-Magnet mount strong enough to allow for a fully extended whip during driving?

10. russbrill

russbrill Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2017
    The center of your vehicle roof is the best location for antenna performance.. BUT, I would not install a 9ft. whip antenna there, I would probably use a Wilson 1000 or Little Wilson.. The Wilson would perform very well and you wouldn't have clearance issues when driving around town.. Just my 1/2 cent of input :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.