102" whip on 2020+ freightliner cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dltdamien, Apr 1, 2023.

1. dltdamien

dltdamien Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Wanting to put a 102" whip on my freightliner cascadia was wondering what the overall height would be? Was hoping it would be no more than 14' still new to CBs so wanting to hear any other antenna suggestions if you don't think this would work well. Will be using a mirror mount on drivers side.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    It depends on where you mount the antenna. Just measure from the ground to the mount that will hold the 102" antenna. Take and add that measurement to the 102 inch length of the antenna, and that will give you the total height of the antenna. The biggest problem with this antenna is the weight of the antenna plus windload. You will need to use a heavy duty antenna mount.
    Most guys use a 7 foot skip shooter with good success on the cascadia truck.

Timin770 and dltdamien Thank this.
  4. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    I've been looking into the skipshooter instead, would I need to run a spring and heavy duty stud? If so any suggestions or links?

5. weasel

weasel Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I use a 6 foot skip shooter with a Wilson heavy duty stud and I put a foot long length of small diameter PVC pipe down to the base, because of wind 6 or 7 foot antenna will sway like crazy and break at the stud.

dltdamien Thanks this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Here's a good thread on this subject by mike5511.

Cascadia Antenna Solutions

Also lookup craigsez, he also has mastered the antenna problems with the cascadia trucks.

rabbiporkchop and dltdamien Thank this.
  7. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Not sure if you still need any info, but I found a picture of Craig's truck. He doesn't have a spring on his 7 foot skip shooter. Just a pvc over the lower part of the antenna, like what weasel did. If you use a shorter 6 foot skip shooter, then you will may need to add an extension to the heavy duty mount.

rabbiporkchop and dltdamien Thank this.
  8. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Decided on a 7ft skipshooter and yes gonna use a foot or two of pvc for the base support, thanks for all the info everyone

9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Very good, thanks for the update.

10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Do some bonding as well...As truck ages and parts corroid you will loose antenna efficiency..

11. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    So got the coax routed and power source swrs are reading 3 on 1 and 40. Tried different antenna positions but not much improvement. Could my antenna be too long or maybe I need to check my ground straps?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.