108yr old battleship texas being towed thru houston ship channel to Galveston for repairs

Discussion in 'Other News' started by drvrtech77, Aug 31, 2022.

1. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    I grew up in La Porte, went to the Battleship Texas many times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    And if you were willing to pay 2.5 times what you did, you could build to the same quality.

The house next to the one I grew up in was originally built in the 1880s as the "country home" of a rich family. Shortly after we moved in next door, the neighbors retired toFlorida. The new owners dropped just shy of $300,000 in renovations - flooring, plaster, electrical, and windows. The windows were particularly expensive and problematic.

10 years later they sold and the new new owners dropped almost $500,000 in renovations. Turns out residing a house on the historical registry is pretty dang expensive when you have to cut each board to size - length, width, and depth.

GYPSY65 and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Yeah
    Pretty sad
    I have a construction background and it’s too bad when you see these old homes around the country with a ton of detail and at some point the owners just gave up

I think regular paint would have gone pretty far in preserving many of these homes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.