'11 Pete 386 w/ an ISX using coolant.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by HillbillyDeluxeTruck, Oct 12, 2019.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    So from the research Ive done, Im fairly certain I know the answer but I want to see if there's something I missed.

The engine is a '13 Cummins RECON with just over 500k on it. Truck has been using coolant since I started running it. It has gotten worse in the last several thousand miles/2wks. Before anyone says egr cooler, its not because of reasons we cant talk about here. There is no visible evidence of it leaking anywhere. So this leads me to believe its going through the cyl's and out the exhaust. And the only way that is possible is due to 1 or more slipped liners, correct?

So is there any way for me to test this theory before putting it back into the shop?

If it is a slipped liner(s), at 500k what is my best route for fixing the issue? I have a trusted shop that will do any work, but I want to look at any and all options. Fix existing engine, replace with known good used shortblock or longblock? I dont think new will be in the budget, even though its a company truck, they will just opt to cut their losses and put me in another truck (not what I want).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    First pull an oil sample then you can make a more informed decision about what to do from there.

4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    It still could be leaking out the egr cooler even if its not used. If it is completly removed different story. Same as the aftertreatment doser, it can leak coolant as well. Even if there is no visible signs, first thing to do is to pressure up the system and check. Might only leak cold or heading down the road.
    Next is to bottle check the engine for pressurizing, that will tell you headgasket/liner issue

Art Vandelay and spsauerland Thank this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Egr cooler is still in place, just no way for coolant to flow through it.

I didnt know the doser valve had coolant flowing to it. There's some evidence to indicate coolants coming out of the stacks because of some black soot on the sleeper.

Im actually sitting in the truck now here at my house and its been off since 8pm last night. I can actually smell what seems to be burnt coolant.

The other thing Ive noticed is a random hard start. Like the batteries are low and it wont turn the engine over, but they check good and more often than not, the engine will fire right off. I was thinking this might be a sign of coolant in a cyl.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'd bet a head gasket, going out the stack. Sounds like a job for Mendtite. Hey, don't laugh, over the years, I've used this product a dozen times, all with good results. 2 bottles for a semi, and I all but guarantee it will slow down or stop the coolant loss,,for a while, anyway. Lots of fellow O/O's swore by it. Hard starting may be hydraulic lock from a leaking gasket, but that would be pretty extreme.
    ZECOL® Mendtite Heavy Duty Radiator Seal - 15 oz. | Midwest Maintenance & Shipping Supply

7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I know head gaskets dont always cause an overheating issue, but this truck runs exactly as it should, according to the guage anyway. Big hills it'll run upto 205, fan kicks on and it'll drop back down to 185 and stay between there and 195 when rolling down a flat road. Even in the Tx summers.

Ive never been a fan of any kind of coolant stop leak products. Especially on a $30k engine lol.

Shawn2130 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  8. Darkhorsellc

Darkhorsellc Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    First thing that came to mind was injector cups, the new X15 really have a problem with this. But you should have had seen the signs by now because you’ll see coolant in the fuel/water sep. But if it’s going out the exhaust you should have gotten a MIL light for a plugged up DPF, coolant will face plug a DPF faster than exhaust soot. Before tearing into the engine, have either you or the shop separate the DPF from the DOC and see if there is any staining. Assuming your running the red EL coolant, you’ll see a pink staining on the front of your DPF. Good luck and I hope you get this figured out!

9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Yea...about that stuff...my exhaust is restriction free.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've had trucks that used coolant and didn't overheat either. Normally, I'm not a fan of leak stoppers, but this isn't the old black pepper crap, it's a polymer, and I'm no chemist, but when mixed with AF, when it finds the leak, it solidifies. I've never had Mendtite plug a heater or anything, and like I say, I've used it a dozen times. Up to you, like most additives, it merely puts off the inevitable, but Mendtite buys you a little time. $30K dollar Pete motor or $250 dollar Saturn, a leak is a leak and Mendtite worked for me, and no, I don't work for Zecol.

11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    So I just bobtailed to pick up my trailer and in 14mi it used approx 1/2 gallon of coolant. I came back home and sure it enough it sucked down another 1/2 gal.

A quick convo with a friend/former boss and who owns a heavy truck repair shop said we can guess all night, but he is pretty confident its a slipped liner.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.