11 vs 8.5 daily driving hours

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IluvCATS, Oct 22, 2017.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    One driver maxes his 11 hour clock each day. He runs his 70 hour clock out after approximately 6 days. Then a reset and starts it over again.
    The other driver runs recap every single day. He drives exactly 8.5 daily hours and he never needs or does a reset.

Which driver makes more money?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The one with the faster truck

Next.

DAX_, magoo68, snowwy and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

LMAO

Hurst

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The one who is paid on percentage and not chasing miles.

Hurst

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Not necessarily. Getting crap money on percentage doesn't magically make you good money just because it's not CPM. I talked to a guy from another company recently, he's taking full advantage of paper logs (probably close to 4000 miles a week from how it sounds, running the 55 mph I5 corridor, same as where I run) making percentage, and I run legally on Elogs, making CPM, and I'm making more money than him.

At the end of the day, if I do a run, I get paid a certain amount for it, and the guy on percentage makes a certain amount for that run. He still needs to complete his runs to make money. Some might be more profitable than others, but then again, some companies pay pretty well per mile as well.

To answer the question, if you run out your hours in 6 days and reset, you make more miles, complete more runs, whatever, than you do by running 8.5 per day on recaps. It's simple math.

Hurst, STexan and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016

One with own MC (getting 100% of loads rates). Is this even a question?

mitmaks and mhyn Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    70 hours available across any 8 days is just that. How you slice it does not increase or decrease that number. It is fixed and finite.

We can argue endlessly about the pros and cons of trying to "average it out" but it's an excercise in futility. Bottom line is it depends on freight availability, appointment times, and preferred driving style

nax Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The one who's dispatch is on the ball, and making sure the delivery times are good. I.e. no sitting for 12 hours waiting on your appointment time.

Running faster, running more or less hours means little once the real world happens. It's all about how long one sits for both appointments and load/unloading.

mitmaks and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Carriers can quickly figure out a driver's capabilities by looking at their log history. If you have driver A who prefers to only run 8 hours a day max and driver B who will run to near 11 hours daily if given the opportunity, and there is a load Monday morning in Boston that needs to be in Los Angeles Friday. Both drivers got a reset over the weekend. It's obvious who is going to get that load.

But I suppose driver A would not want it anyway as it requires a more compressed and determined work ethic that they can not provide if history is any guide.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The one on percentage working for a company that charges rates high enough that he's only got to drive 8-9 hours per day 5 days per week, gets him home every night, and off every weekend.

Seriously, if I had to work 70 hours per week to make a decent living, I'd be in the wrong line of work. Unless you own the business, there is no reason to put in those kinds of hours unless you are being VERY well compesated for them. If you're working 70 hours/week for somebody else and your paychecks aren't "take the wife on a 2 month cruise every year and retire when I'm 50" good, then why are you working that job? There is more to life than work. I work to live, not the other way around. If I can't make ends meet with 40-50 hours working for somebody else, then I'm at the wrong job. If I'm working for MY dream, and MY name is on the company letterhead, that's the only way it'd be worth putting in those extra hours at work...but even then, there comes a point where you've got to say "enough".

AModelCat, Hurst, uncleal13 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.