12.7 Detroit cooling system

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jasonar15, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    i have a 1999 fld120 with 12.7 Detroit. The 2 small hose connectors on the S pipe after water pump and before oil cooler keep leaking. Have replaced them both. Could anything be stopped up causing pressure? I am changing thermostats tomorrow. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Being silicone, they may seep a bit when new, especially when cold.Notorius problem on new Trucks, since going to silicone hoses. Commonly called a “ cold leak” eventually heat will seal them up. If you have good constant tension “silicone” style clamp that has an inner solid ring to protect the hose,and a spring loaded screw, sometimes they need to be torqued real good, and again later when hot, because the inner ring interferes with tightening.a one piece spring tension type works good also, unless it’s lost it’s tension. I have both types on mine, no leaks. Any excess pressure in system will always find the weakest point, be it a clamp or a weak oil cooler or a rusty tube, etc. As long as your not building pressure in coolant, I don’t think any obstruction is the problem, I doubt a plugged oil cooler or. even a stuck thermostat wouldn’t cause it, unless both thermostats we’re stuck closed. That would be rare.Also an obstruction that bad would probably cause it to run hot. My guess is you need to crank the clamps tight.

4. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    12.7 need help figuring out what size short belt to bypass York Ac. Running alternator off of auxiliary drive.

5. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Is there a reasonable Mechanic in the Birmingham area that does weekend work?

6. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Specifically 12.7 Detroit 1996 FLD 120

7. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    The 12.7 is a 1996 Detroit 60 series D DAC 3

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Measure the distance with anything, a piece of string if you have to. T/As used to carry the exact belt for that reason. But an auto parts store should be able to match up something

Jrwinkles Thanks this.
  9. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Thanks Bro!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Jrwinkles

Jrwinkles Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    I understand string now

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.