13 Cascadia DD15 Fan stays on New clutch, solenoid & press switch

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by LoneRanger, Dec 27, 2018.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    2013 Cascadia DD15 455HP

New fan clutch
    New Silenoid
    New Ac pressure switch

Dealer updated software.

Checked if lines are crossed, they are not.

When key is turned to the on position clutch is disengaged.

When truck starts fan clutch is engaged and does not disengage at all after that.

All sensors that can turn on the clutch all working within range.

Dealer has no idea what the issue is.

I’m lost. Anyone can help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Buddy of mine had a similar issue. First the ECM fixed it, he replaced it which fixed multiple electrical issues. The the fan issue came back, it was his mass air flow sensor.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know if your Truck has a power distribution module PDM or not. My 2000 Freightliner does and its purpose is to controls fan and eliminated some previous sensors. It’s located in fuse panel on mine. Symptom is fan stays on

5. pilewrench

pilewrench Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Check for power at the fan solenoid. should have 12v+ constant. the MCM switches the ground side to control the fan. circuit on, fan off. circuit off, fan on. I've seen wiring rub thru for the fan control on the bottom left side of the engine right near the MCM. the wiring is cable tied to the trans cooler line, and eventually wears thru, corrodes and breaks the circuit, causing the fan to run all the time. If that is all good, the dealer should be able to see what is commanding the fan to run, be it high a/c pressure, high intake manifold temp, or coolant temp. some models will run the fan for a few minutes at a time to double check ambient air temp with the intake charge.

6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Did you figure this out yet?

I had the same problem. The fan ran all the time and it would occasionally throw a code. There were two wires shorted together behind the 31 pin connector underneath the oil module. I spliced those and the fan stays off now.

But now I have the opposite problem. The fan never comes on by itself at all. That's going to be a short in the ground from the fan solenoid I'm pretty sure. I checked it and there is zero resistance between the ground side of the plug and the chassis, so it's shorted somewhere. Just have to run it down.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I have not figured it out, but will have someone i met online here that is a dd15 mechanic check it out once i get out to SoCal, he has the tools to check and see if its a computer code, or just something else.

@Antinomian

8. truck_tech98

truck_tech98 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Moncton NB
    From

9. truck_tech98

truck_tech98 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Moncton NB
    From the fam solenoid it’s two wires follow them it should take you to a connector behind the fan on the let side where it’s a 6 to 2 wire connector follow he two wire between the frame and motor chances are corroded seen this all too many times

10. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The fan clutch solenoid gets signal from a BCM type module with 6 leads (i belive) information and wiring schematics are rare to find.

However, its very easy to source. The module gets IGN voltage. Witch then goes to the manual fan control switch, then to the solenoid. The ECM controls the fan via ground switching, when a manual control switch is equipped, all it does is breaks IGN voltage.

11. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I know this is an older thread. I have a customer that has no 12V to fan solenoid, it has a good ground. I put air to the clutch and it works properly. If I am reading the posts above correctly all it will need is ignition power and the ground will work the fan on and off? There does not appear to be any codes in the computer that is related to engine. Just one code for an inside cab light and another to the sam chassis.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.