'13 Prostar Regen Smoke in Cab

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Derov, May 15, 2013.

1. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Hey all,
    As the title says, I have a 2013 International Prostar (MaxxForce) and this last week I began to notice some irregularities in the aftertreatment system. The regens happen like clockwork, about 12 hours apart (I would estimate about 700 miles in between regens) regardless of the amount of idle time (haha don't get me started on idling in this thing...). Below are a few symptoms:

1. The on-board digital thermometer runs about 30 degrees hotter than the actual temperature which was really bad during the winter as the truck would fail to idle, even when it was below freezing. Now it is frequently above 110 degrees. *
    2. As mentioned, the truck passively idles at highway speed like clockwork, twice a day.
    3. While regen is in progress, smoke billows out of the truck, varying between blue and white in color - this persists throughout the entire regen process (20-30 minutes), so long as the accelerator is being engaged, even while in neutral.
    4. During this 'event' smoke enters the cab via the air vents.
    5. If the truck is pulled over during said regen, white/blue smoke can be seen issuing from what I assume is an exhaust port beneath the passenger side door.
    6. This is VERY noticeable, and elicits constant warnings from other drivers that I 'may be on fire' and has in one case so far caused an emergency situation at a receiver who thought I was 'coming in hot'.

I have been very patiently awaiting this problem to be addressed by my company, and am in the process of being routed to a company terminal. My question is simply, what the hell is going on here? This seems to be more than a simple exhaust leak. I really would like to not die from carbon monoxide or cancer, is there anything I can do to prevent these regens temporarily?

* This has been addressed by company mechanics several times to no avail.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    When you get to company terminal tell them you want the oldest truck they have in the yard . It will still be a better truck than that prostar with maxxforce pos.....

Other members can explain the mechanical details better than I ......

Derov Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The exhaust flex pipe right after the engine is very prone to cracking. Very common to have leaks here. With bad exhaust leaks like this you will for sure have smoke in the cab and more frequent regens since so much heat and fuel from the doser injector is able to leak out. It can be dangerous. Those fumes can make you light headed, not good to be breathing that all day. Are you going through coolant at all?

Derov Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh, they mount the outside temp sensor right under the rad with all the engine heat. Stupid, stupid, stupid place. They are taped to the wire harness that runs around the lower front of the truck on the left side. There is enough slack there to move it a bit away from the heat.

lv gn and Derov Thank this.
  6. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I haven't really noticed any increase in coolant usage, but we very recently had a radiator hose replaced between the radiator and the turbo which had caused significant issues (MIL and stop engine light, etc.) Thanks for the responses.

7. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Okay, so my low oil pressure light just came on, despite it being just under 3/4ths full when I did my pretrip about 7 hours ago. I pulled over, shutdown for about 15 minutes, ran in and bought a gallon of oil, came back out and checked the oil level and it's not even registering. I hate this truck so much.

8. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Few things I think, exhaust manifold or exhaust flex pipe.mine was the manifold on the Volvo. Had same symptoms as yours lol

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    They shouldn't be making you drive that thing with exhaust leaking into the cab.

10. Burger

Burger Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Paisley On Canada
    My 13 prostar did that too. It was the exhaust manifold gasket between number 5 and 6 cylinder. It happened now twice on me and the exhaust tube under passenger side door cracked. Had the bellows tube brake once and it melted the wiring harness.

11. Chronicpatriot

Chronicpatriot Bobtail Member

May 5, 2012
    My freightliner is doing the exact same thing right now. Breakdown says keep going its just doing a regen but went on throughout the day getting worse and worse. Ive had other drivers tell me its not normal so i dont think im gonna try and go to the terminal im gonna go to this ta across the road and tell them im not moving this piece of crap til they make it safe for me and everyone around my vehicle to drive. Im new to this but i think thats the best move.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.