13 speed shift troubles when cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mile marker 27, Dec 6, 2019.

1. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Looking at a w900L with 13 speed, that the owner says it doesn’t like to split at 10th and 11th, when it’s cold. All my conversations with him have been over the phone, so my info is and maybe kinda vague. He said it does fine after it’s warmed up and referred to it as an “old style” 13. It’s in a 93 model truck and presumably been rebuilt in the last 75k miles. If it’s the original transmission by the VIN, it’s an RTO15613. What kinda issue might this be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well... if shes cold and arthritic when cold, thats the fluids, oils and greases cold. Ive had many trucks in my lifetime that would need about 20 miles of nursing until they get limbered up and at temperature. Once the axle and trans temp get to about 210 and the engine oil temp to 190 it's time to put her to work and she will run well, or should.

4. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Should not have an issue at all splitting in any temp. Sounds like it splits fine in the rest of the gears but only have issues with 10th/11th.
    Interesting

5. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Looks like a red flag to me.Something isn't right. Like what was said tranny's are made to do their job if it's cold or hot shouldn't make a difference.

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My last Truck, a 99 13 spd did that, wouldn’t split up when real cold. I’d run it till it was good and warm, then it worked fine. My guess is the splitter valve was sticky or lines had oil in them from compressor. Don’t know.

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I would re oring the range and splitter pistons with new and look for oil in the air lines. If the oil is in there and cold it can delay shift. They can get dry and sticky as well so clean them up and use the oring lube supplied. Sometimes you can hear the gurgle on shift. Blow out the lines good if this is the case.

It's cheap enough to try first. Then suspect internal with no change.

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    True if it was all gears . This truck has issue with splitting particular gear

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Old trick is if you Blip the throttle lighty after you pre-select the split it will shift. The old 13’s are known to just go into nuetral sometimes between splits. Throttle blips and patience usually work.

mile marker 27 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.