13 speed ticking noise, only in 4th, 8th and 8th over?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Gumper, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Just today my transmission decided to start making a suspicious noise only in 4th, 8th and 8th over. It’s hard to describe, but kind of like a light metallic knock. Happens under all conditions only in that gear. It tap faster, or slower with the truck speed. Kind of sounds like when you’re trying to get into gear with light pressure on the shifter before the clutch brake stops the trans all the way. It’s pretty faint, but it can be heard with the radio on. If you move the shifter just right you can’t hear it. I’ve also noticed that slowing down in 4th it is much louder especially with the jake on. There’s no metal on the magnetic fill plug, the fluid looks great, and it’s not running hot. Any ideas? I assume with my luck the trans is trying to tell me it’s ready to leave me stranded. Thought maybe there’s an adjustment on the shifter that’s causing it to over extend into high gear, or something simple. Like I said it just started this morning. Nothing out of the ordinary happened yesterday to make me think it got damaged.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Are you pulling hard on those gears?

4. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    You mean pulling hard on the shifter, or hard as in heavy weight? I’d say neither.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    May have a tooth broken on the 4th gear. Will have to pull the top off the transmission to know for sure.

Rideandrepair and spsauerland Thank this.
  6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I’m getting a noise that just developed Wednesday only in 4th, 8th and 8th high of my Eaton 13 speed. You can hear it in 4th of my video. It’s pretty constant, but seems worse when slowing down in 4th. I don’t know if any abuse I did to cause it other than old age whatever it is. Would you suggest I get the trans replaced immediately, or something that can last awhile?

Here’s a video you can hear it pretty good. Usually worse when slowing down. This was in 4th gear since in 8th the road noise makes it too hard for the phone to pick it up.

7. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    The last transmission that I rebuilt had a broken tooth that was caused by the shifter detent spring and plunger falling out and going through the gearset. When in neutral and pulling the shifter to the left does it return to the middle when you let it go?

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Man, I hate to even suggest it. But when my 13 spd went out. It started like that, and got worse to the point, I had to run ( about) 400 miles in 7 th gear, emptied out and took to shop. The right bank of gears were shot, bearings bad. Had to get a reman. Hope that’s not your problem. An easy inspection should be able to rule major problem like mine out anyway. They showed me, the whole shaft with gears was flopping all around.

9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That’s what I’m afraid of, driving hundreds of miles in 7th at 55. Or having a catastrophic failure then needing a tow.

10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    It springs back

11. Mobile Proctologist

Mobile Proctologist Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Remove the top cover with the shift forks and look at the rod pins in the shft fork...I'm assuming 4 and 8 are the same location. I'm sure you can feel it in the shifter right?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.