1. _dsgb

_dsgb Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Georgia
    What's up trucking community. I had just a couple questions and hopefully someone can give me some feedback. My brother and I are both graduating and receiving our cdl a on Dec. 17th. I know that we have to put our time in i.e. orientation, drive with trainer, etc. but we both have kids and the 14 on 7 off sounds very appealing. My question is does anyone on here drive this schedule now? If so what are some pros/cons to it? Lastly, do y'all know which companies offer this? I live just outside of Atlanta and many companies seem to have terminals fairly close. Thanks in advance for you replies!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Never driven it but it'll be slip-seating.
    A different truck every week.
    Rhoel has this option and I think Schneider might still have some part-time options

Now if you two would be willing to team, they're are many companies that would let you team long haul like coast to coast and then be home weekends.
    Good luck. Stay safe and have fun.

_dsgb Thanks this.
  4. _dsgb

_dsgb Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Georgia
    Man that sounds ideal, I forgot to ask if we could team drive on that 14/7 because that is our intention is to team drive, I trust him 1000% about the only person I would trust to drive while I sleep lol, but if we could do the long hauls and get home on the weekends we wouldn't hesitate.. Thanks for the info

5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Sure thing.
    @Chinatown should be around. He knows volumes about good and bad companies, I'm not sure of any team that would be around your area.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I did 14/7 for about 4 years. I was driving a C5500 GMC mechanic truck, not a tractor-trailer. I had to follow HOS due to the truck's GVW being above 4,500kg and operating outside the 150km radius. I really liked that shift. You couldn't pay me enough to work Monday to Friday. 2 days off just isn't enough. I do 7/7 now and it feels a little short.

_dsgb Thanks this.
  7. _dsgb

_dsgb Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Georgia
    Who you working for now? And yea, our initial thought was to do the 7/7 but one, I don't know if teams can run 7 then be off 7 and two, after reading some people's threads they don't seem to be happy with the money/miles on 7/7, that's why I was thinking 14/7 would still get you plenty of miles while still having good home time, but mon-fri would be legit too. We'd take either or, Thanks for the reply

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well I'm currently a field mechanic, not a full time driver. I drive once and a while, not as often as I'd like though.

_dsgb Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Watkins-Shepard in Dalton hauls dedicated freight, probably carpet. Dedicated means you haul for the same customer so they need the trailer returned to the terminal to be reloaded.

_dsgb Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Florida Beauty Express - does California runs and supposedly unlimited time off between runs. Maybe take a car to Miami and leave at the terminal then do 3 California runs then take a week or so off. Drive the car back to Atlanta for the time off.

Don't really need a terminal in Atlanta to get time off at home.

Schneider Bulk - tankers with a facility in Atlanta.
    East-West Express - hauls produce out of California.
    Cedar Creek Trucking - Dalton
    Abilene Motor Express
    SVTN

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    _dsgb Thanks this.
  11. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    You guys should be teaming you'll get better home time.

_dsgb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.