$1500 referral bonus....um, no thanks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sbaumann14, Feb 19, 2018.

1. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    So, I got the email the other day... "refer a qualified driver to us, and after 6 months with us, you will get paid!" like.....cash money! Woopdy freaking doo.

Ok....so follow me on this. I am supposed to help my company (who I still respect) to hire someone to take money away from me by taking some loads that I could be doing. Am I missing something here? When someone...anyone... says to me "hey, that's a really nice truck/trailer setup. you must be doing pretty good at where you work to have something like that. How are they?"

My response is always a solid...."they suck, don't even waste your ink filling out the forms".

I have 5-6 agents run for exclusively. would they like some more drivers to move more freight to make more money? I'm sure they would. Do THEY go out and actively recruit for the company? Nope. Nada. Why? Cause they KNOW me, what I'm capable of, and am happy with the service I provide...(I hope)

so....lets hear it drivers. Anyone else on here given away some of your money without thinking about it?

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    More drivers means a possible bigger customer base.. therefore more work

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So you are afraid that if the company grows they will find out how bad a driver you are in comparison?
    I'm having a hard time figuring any other reason to scare off potential coworkers.
    If they are offering that much, it's because they have had to turn down contracts for lack of capacity.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i learned my lesson EONS ago, i never recommend anyone. if they want a job, they can go out looking for it.

it''s a 2 way street, @ZVar , yes, the new worker can show up the one who recommended him/her.

or in my case, (i recommend someone) that can be a renegade that does not log correctly, does not follow company policies, etc,etc, and the company comes back ON YOU for recommending him/her.

never again for me.....

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    There is a diffrence between a recommendation and a referral.

A recommendation is telling the company that this person is a good worker, reliable, etc...
    A referral is simplying telling someone the company is hiring, and it's up to the company to do due diligence in checking.

I would not even recommend by brother because as you said it will reflect on me. A paid referral though I'll be out recruiting every chance I get if I liked the company.

Broke Down 69 and kylefitzy Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    perhaps so, but i will not refer nor recommend. i still "see" where it can look bad on me, if the new guy mucks up.

bottom line, they are on their own.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'll take your money any day of the week I need some money.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i'd rather have a snickers bar...king size, thank you very much, come again please.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    You want fries with that what size?

11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you serving..??

heck yeah...bring 'em on over.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.