$16,000 Repair or New Truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, May 23, 2020.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My Cummins powered 2013 cascadia is a well cared for gem at 830k , hasn't been beat and gone thru bumper to bumper with full delete...will run another 600k at least .

BoostedTeg, dwells40 and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

That’s what I believed too, until this happened.

bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Just did 2 OneBoxes. One failed before 500K miles, so got that at a hugely discounted price.

One failed at 550K miles and that one was just under $11K.

The Cummins version is the SCR. $8200

$16K is a lot for a OneBox. Most go around $12K at that mileage.

I do lots of truck shopping. If your truck were in good working order right now at that mileage, it may be worth $8,000.

SO

You can pick something up in the mid 300K mile range right now for $50K.

800 and change on your engine, how long before the in frame on that?

Now is a really good time to get a used truck. But things are going to get really busy soon, so I'd not wait too long to pull the trigger.

And you're next step, and it's coming, is STOP ENGINE, then you're really f.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The one box is the emissions box. It has the DPF. The crappy part of the one box design. It has the DOC filters built into the box and can't be replaced. I had One Box go bad 4 years ago and they said $12,000 to replace it on a 2012 truck. I did not replace it.

It might be long shot but today Pittsburgh Power has a cleaning foam. The use to clean the emissions system on the new trucks. They are independent repair shop and kind specialize in fixing emissions trucks. They actually fix the emissions system, not any of that funny business.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Well, I’m feeling more optimistic now. I should just shop around to pay under 12k.

audeygdad and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree with you, a Truck with less than 300k, and 3 even 4 yrs old, if it’s nice, for less than half the price of a new one. That’s a good compromise for Me. As far as the trade in, it’s only to avoid having to come up with cash.

Dino soar, chimbotano and PE_T Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Assuming the Trucks worth $8k real money on trade. The question is, if you were in the market to buy a Truck.Would you buy a 7 yr old Freightliner with a new one box, and 850k miles for 20k. Or would you buy a newer one? Consider you’ll need an Overhaul in a yr., maybe 3 yrs. if your real Lucky. The way I look at it,$12 k repair, have to run it for at least a yr. to justify the repair. Same with the Overhaul, in a yr. from now, at $24k, so in 3 yrs. from now. You’ll have spent $36k, you’ll have a 10 yr. old Truck, with 200k on an Overhaul. Might be easier to pay a little more, and in 3 yrs. have a 6 yr. old Truck, with 600k miles. There’s no way out of it. less headaches with the newer Truck. Focus on Driving, making revenue. Instead of constantly planning repairs.

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You could post it for sale for 15k and say the check engine light is on for the one box. Otherwise solid truck. Someone who is going to remove it anyway won’t care.

It is true though that 300k trucks are going for 55 to 60k (KW’s) vs 80 to 85 right now. If you do that get a Cummins and buy the xt1 encore 2nd owner warranty. You’ll still have issues here and there but if the motor grenades you’ll be covered.

Otherwise just buy a new one like I mentioned before. It’s insane what money pits these trucks become north of 5 yrs 500k. Some more then others but all not good.

10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    Don't worry, it's both

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Lots of food for thought.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.