$16,000 Repair or New Truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, May 23, 2020.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    So the box and the filter needs to be changed? When it comes to emissions, I’m sure you probably know, but make sure EVERY sensor in that system is new or good. They get carbon packed or covered, don’t read right, don’t throw a sensor code, but will throw a dpf/doc code and or won’t let the filters bake right because the “calibration” system aka sensors are reading off because of the carbon.

think Rawze egr tuneup on YouTube.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    For those of you complaining about California, tell that to the thousands of drivers trying to get loads here right now in an attempt to get at the very high paying loads that are currently LEAVING California. This state can be a real PITA, but there is money to be made here. Last week was my best in almost a year. This week is shaping up to be just as good if not better.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm sorry, but you guys have to be nuts to put up with that crap. I know, not everyone can drive a pre-emission truck, but you guys talk about $8,000 this, or $12,000 that, like it's peanuts. The hardest thing on a BC Cummins was turning the pump to manual. Are you really making the money to offset that, just to move on to the next multi-thousand dollar repair? It just seems foolish to me, I sure wouldn't do it. Everybody making money but you, and you guys are doing the hard work, padding these crooks pockets,,,terrible.:biggrin_25513: Guess we should go into the "black box" business. Trucking with my old Pete was sure a different gig.

5. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    I would lease a new truck from Penske, and never worry about maintenance or breakdowns again.

Sell that truck for parts or whatever and be done with it.

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Just drive someone elses, let them have the headaches while you take the grandkids to the zoo,,,

PE_T and drlmi Thank this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Blows my mind to that fleets can buy new trucks, run them a few years and then lose well over half to initial cost.

The biggest piece of junk pre emission Pete or KW is still worth well over the 8k these guys say your truck is worth.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. But I think on these cracker jack emissions trucks that may not apply. A new truck with warranty is great I'm sure but they can still breakdown and spend countless hours in the shop while you aren't earning.

Speed_Drums, Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Gotta love the pre-emission and pre-elog premiums people will pay for a trashed out, POS Peterbilt or Kenworth. I'd take a brand new truck of any make over the above.

mwhjr1988, Crude Truckin' and PE_T Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I can’t believe the cost of repairs I hear about. I question the motives.Especially when they take things apart, start changing parts. Then drop the bomb on you, after you already owe a bundle. Pay for a diagnosis, then get at least 1 or better yet, 2 more opinions/ estimates before making a decision. Too many unqualified techs these days, trying to figure out these complicated newer Trucks. Dealerships can be the worst, sometimes. Good Mechanics are hard to find. Bad Mechanics cost you big money.

PE_T, whoopNride, tommymonza and 4 others Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm convinced, it's part of a conspiracy plan on megas part to eliminate O/O's and so be it. Was a time when being an O/O was what I wanted to do most, and I did it. It was possible then, my 1st truck was $22,500 bucks in 1988, and I did my own work on it. Nothing too fancy, a 6 year old WS, and it was possible in the 80's. I give those that are still trying to make it on their own, but you guys are riding dinosaurs, and there's better ways to make a living. Let the megas handle shipping from now on.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The money that I read about O/O making on this forum......that $8K or $12K is one trip from Dallas to Atlanta and back.

I don't see what the big deal is.

dwells40, Crude Truckin', PE_T and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.