17.5 tires step deck 2018 please help (ls driver) all welcome

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Blkcowboy, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Blkcowboy

Blkcowboy Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2018
    im sold on the 22.5s common sense tells me if enough people say bad about it tham to stay away u know anything about 19.5s?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If you don’t need 17.5s-- you're going to get enough tall freight to make it worth while on a consistent basis-- don't get them.

We ran Manac and Doonan trombone step decks on 17.5s because we hauled oversize freight. I did not like the Doonans as I feel the build quality was very inferior to the Manacs. Sorry I can't be more specific as it has been a while, but if I were buying a trailer (all ours were leased), Doonan wouldn't be my first choice.

We had the best service from Continental tires.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Hulld Thanks this.
  4. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    lol ty

5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I don’t run a step deck but I do run the 17.5 tires on my triaxel car hauler and as for wear and durability I have found that the continentals are by far the best option.

6. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    how long do they last?

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    17.5 tires require a lot of work to make to make them last.
    Air pressure is key, inside and outside must be kept even or they will whip out, that number changes by brand and applications, speed needs to be watched, some type of balancer needs to be used.
    I wouldn’t have them again unless I had open wheel wells where I could get a good look at them every day.

8. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I am new to Stepdeck work and was thinking about installing 17.5 tires on my stepdeck when i purchased it. Currently have 22.5 tires. It cost too much to switch because the brake system and other items will need to be replace as well in order to use the 17.5 tires. I am very glad i did not switch to the 17.5 tires because my current setup with 22.5 tires works great. Rarely do i see a good paying load on the loadboards that requires the smaller tires due to height. A lot of customer have too much steep ramps and potholes and the 17.5 tires would have cause damage to the trailer bumper because my 53' stepdeck would of been too low on the rear end. I think a 48' stepdeck with 17.5 tires would be better than the 53' trailer.

9. Blkcowboy

Apr 11, 2018
    makes. since at ls we can go after lower end dd freight with em so i though it may possibly be worth while but the negatives on them. are far to consistent imo thanks everyomg for your input maybe in amother 3-5 years they will be better

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Better carry a spare.

Bridgestones here. Even with CTIS a $450 Bridgestone lasts only ~25% as long as a $200 chinese 22.5. 2x the price for 1/4 the service life not counting the service call. They fit really nicely into the potholes on I-81 in NY and PA. We don't pull that trailer unless we have a load that requires it.

11. Roadking96

Roadking96 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2016
    17.5 are hard to maintain.auto inflation system is must for them.i am getting ready to replace all 8 tires on my manac with continental HTL2 ECO PLUS.if you not going to haul taller freight i would stick with regular 22.5 tires.if you do decide to go with 17.5 carry unleast 2 spare with you.

Blkcowboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.