18 Spd Trans / Refrigerated Van Companies Info

Discussion in 'Storage Trailer' started by tenspeed, Oct 27, 2005.

1. tenspeed

tenspeed Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Going to work for a company that has new 379's American Classic interiors, owner op. spec'd, 475 cats, and 18 speed trannies.

Never drove an 18 speed before, my question is, what is the best way
    to handle the large tranny? This company is a refrigertated carrier,
    running primarily east, with some loads going to CA, OR, and WA, so on
    some of the bigger hills in these states, is there an advantage to having
    the 18 speed, versus the others that are out there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    In case you didn't know an 18 is based around the old 9 speed and the 18 you can split low range along with high range. With that engine pulling reefers I don't see much of a need to spit low range but in rare cases you may want to split 5th before going into 6th such as pulling a steep hill. The times I drove a 13 in order to get up to speed faster the only times I used the splitter had been with heavy loads and on 8th and 9nth gears only. On pulling hills use the splitter while pulling it realy helps.

4. tenspeed

tenspeed Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2005
    So I can split both the low side, and the high side as well?

If I'm running light or empty, I can then just treat it as a regular
    9 speed correct?

If you are downshifting, do you need to go through all the gears, or just
    downshift like any other 9 speed?

5. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    You can drive it like a straight 9 speed and as far as I know, unless they have it set up in an oddball way, you don't need to split all the gears.

6. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

The theory of an 18 speed is that you skip up, and split down. You rarely need to use 18 gesars to get going, 9 will do the job just fine. But when you go up a hill at speed, you use the half steps to keep the engine right on the boil, and doing this you can maintain a couple of mph advantage going uphill over a straight 9 speed box. Downside to them is that some people spec them that really have no need for them, and they are heavier and much more expensive than other trans. They usually have a torque rating that matches the needs of really big engines.

7. tenspeed

tenspeed Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2005
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I'm going up grade with a 40K
    plus load, and the engine begins to lug, that is when I split the gears, but if I'm just on a level grade, or
    on the down hill side of Vale pass, for example, I then just use it as a regular
    9 speed, correct?

8. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    Your starting to get the idea... this is not brain surgery but is easy once you get the hang of it...

9. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Actually. it's best to be a little bit proactive here. Rather than waiting for the engine to lug, you start splitting once you start dropping RPM. To me, if the engine gets to the point where it's lugging, then I should have shifted before that point, un=less the top of the hill is in sight. A large part of making good time with a truck is keeping your momentum up, and the engine RPM in it's sweet spot. Every engine has a specific rpm where it is very happy, and you want to keep it right around that point.

Again, many people that spec an 18 are doing it more for bragging rights than the actual need to have it on the truck. Some times it's a clue that they didn't spec the rear end ratios correctly, nor the ratio / steps between gears as well as they could have. Truck speccing is a wide open area, and not many people are as good at it as they think they are. That includes me, but I'm working hard on it and learning. In about two years, when I buy my own truck, I hope to avoid a lot of common mistakes I see getting made. My 02.

10. tenspeed

tenspeed Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    One thing I am concerned about with this company, is that they have a
    safestat score of 92, not because of their equiptment, which is now
    all brand new 379 petes. Their problem seems to be with the drivers, for
    example: numerous speeding tickets, falsified logs, tickets for driving while disqualified, not having logs for the last 7 days, or not having a
    log book at all.

The safety man said they were taking steps to improve their safety rating
    as they want to get prepass. Do these problems indicate a company that
    pushes drivers hard to run illegal?

They also use mobile max, what is it, and how does it compare to the
    qualcom?

11. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

There has always been a tendency among small trucking companies, particularly refrigerated outfits, to buy big hp top of the line equipment, and then put new drivers in them. They run you on tighter schedules than you can manage fairly, and you push the pedal down, which amazingly enough doesn't have a speed limiter on it. They run the new guy until their freight is moved, and his license is burned up. I'm not saying that this is the situation here, but keep your eyes open for it. There is no reason you need to go much over 65-67 mph in a truck to get the load where it needs to go. Keep an eye open for this, and if you get pushed into schedules that you can't meet, don't be afraid to walk away from it. You have an easily transportable skill, which is in fairly high demand right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.