18 speed transmission grinding

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by united972, Dec 9, 2021.

1. united972

united972 Light Load Member

May 26, 2016
    I have a 18 speed transmission that goes thru every gear on high and low range but I have to keep splitter in the high. ( aka I have to keep the side button forward.) so I really been driving it like a 10 speed.

every time I try to push the side button back into low side it grinds. I been driving like this since holidays are upon us I want to fix it.

anyone ever have this issue and what caused? It or if you have any idea where I should start let me know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    The splitter slide collar is most likely worn out. The back box is an under drive unit and only turns when the button is in the direct position.

Basically you need the back box rebuilt. I would look at all of it.

Sons Hero, Concorde, Flint1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Not sure what kind of experience you have with 18 speeds however with the splitter you only flick this down if your approaching a hill and your losing revs but not enough to warrant changing down a whole gear, you flick the splitter down wait a couple of seconds then hit the accelerator to increase revs this will change it down. I'd have to be in the truck personally to really see if its just the way you are changing gears or whether there really is a mechanical issue with the Eaton gearbox. Its just unusual when you say the splitter is grinding as I've never once had a splitter grind. The only thing that grinds are the actual gears.

Concorde Thanks this.
  5. azzis

azzis Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2012
    No a bad synchronizer, or low air pressure to the range shifter will size the gears to grind while changing ranges. The bears have to mesh or you couldn't change range. There is a lie dude and high.side syncro

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.