1984 3406b ???

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by oldog1984, Aug 24, 2010.

1. oldog1984

oldog1984 Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    He guys ? For you a friend of mine is at a truck 1984 with 3406b cat in it which is going to need lower in done . What type of price is he looking at for parts. Where's the best place to get then we are in ohio.. Or would it be better to do a complete overhaul?thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    what's wrong with the motor? that should dictate whether to do just rods and mains or the complete inframe.

4. oldog1984

Apr 17, 2010
    columbus,ohio
  5. Slick900

Slick900 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Waterloo Ontario
    On my 3406C,,which is the same basic engine,,I had a low oil pressure problem,,,asked around and no one could give me an answer,,,got lucky and a roller started eating a lobe on the camshaft,,,when we took the front cover off,,,the bearings on the bull gear where junk,,,replaced everything that needed replacing behind the front cover,,which wasn't too bad since it was caught in time,,oil pressure is right back up to where its supposed to be!!!
    Mine usually ran at 58 lbs,,,when the oil pressure was dropping,,it would drop down to 48-50 lbs running down the road!!!

6. 359kool

359kool Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    alabama
    The 3406B and 3406C is the same basic engine design, but there is critical differences, and in this instance it's the narrow rod bearings of the B'..

rank Thanks this.
  7. 359kool

359kool Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    alabama
    Genuine parts is the only way to go and you can buy them from a Caterpillar shop or truck dealerships that offer Cat service..

Cat suggests doing bearings every 250,000 but I think most are lucky if they get done before 500,000..
    I don't recall the exact price for a bearing kit, which includes the oil-pan gasket, or two if has the spacer, and oil pump o'rings.. The last two sets I bought were with inframe overhaul, but I'd say between $250 and $500 plus the oil-change depending on location and greedy dealer inflation.. :smt117

I wouldn't consider an overhaul unless there is excess blowby or using alot of oil or low on power etc..
    It's never really a done deal regardless with any engine, because "sht happens".. :smt025

Simple stuff like a wore-out air compressor can effect oil psi among other things.. But just as well I have took the cheap way out before by just replacing a cracked cylinder head or a blown head gasket only before where the cylinder packs looked like new... Only to discover water in the oil 10,000 smiles later because of o'rings on the sleeves takin a leak.. :banghead:

This buisness can get real freaky at times.. Which is why I take the superstitious approach anymore.. I'd really prefer being more lucky most of the time rather than being good.. :lol:

:occasion5:

8. oldog1984

Apr 17, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    at the cat shop they said they would . replacing bearings and oil pump recondition crankshaft. for $1600.00 and that would fix it? does that sound about right or should you do more? is the price good? just asking..

9. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Any old timers that's worked on older 3406A Cat's have any clue here on a couple of things related to changing an air compressor on one? I removed the old one yesterday thinking I had a good, almost brand new spare off a B, but they're different in a couple of ways. (I should mention this is a 1978 A Model Caterpillar pre-cup motor.)
    First major difference is the A compressor has a splined 1" shaft that slides directly into gear train, rather than the conical gear on most 3406B style compressors.
    Second is the oil return line on my A is on the bottom, B's are up higher on the side...So I'm FUBAR'd with this.
    Been sitting here surfing the interweb for an hour now, looking for another compressor but I think I'm going to work for this one...nothing some extra $$$ can't solve though from some supplier around here I'm sure.
    Lastly, for the veteran wrenches here; How on God's green earth do you tighten the bottom 3/4" nut on these A model compressors, with the oil return line/fitting in the way? It's mathematically impossible to put an extension on, or swivel, or even a speed wrench like I wish. I removed the upper two in 2 minutes. The bottom one was a challenge. I turned it with a box end, flipping it over each flat I could catch...and probably gained 5 mm on each turn...man was that a son of a gun, but I got it.
    The only solution I see for mine is to cut a 3/4" wrench down to about 4" long to miss the frame rail enough to get some more traction...?
    Looking for some old crackerjack input here...old school if you will...:thumbleft:

10. southern_style

southern_style Bobtail Member

May 2, 2017
    I just bought a 1986 freightliner flc64t with a 3406b motor. When i start it up harmonic balancer wobblers and pushes outta crankshaft 2".

What causes this?

11. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    My '89 3406B has 334k original miles. Oil pressure is real good and I've been debating whether I should do bearings or not. "Not" keeps winning the argument. ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.