1986 big cam cummins lovers please click here

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by kenworthforlife177, Oct 18, 2018.

1. kenworthforlife177

kenworthforlife177 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Hello all. I recently bought a kenworth cabover

1986 kenworth k100

I'm finding it rather difficult to find information about this truck

Things I know

No jake
    400 big cam cummins, not sure which one so please enlighten me for i bought a truck that is older than myself. I know the 4's had i believe high flows and 3's has low flows.. i think. or is it visa versa (i'm so overwelmed and been reading wayyyy too much tonight.)

has the 8LL eaton transmission

The original owner of this truck really knew his stuff. I can just tell by the way all the things are rigged up, and the little shortcuts here and there he had done to it. and by the fact that he racked 900,000 that i know of since the the OD doesn't work anymore

the 2nd owner i'm not so sure about his education

and then there's me.. Know very little and trying so #### hard to gather this #### but information is very little found. It seems the most i can find is a forum of someone calling someone else an idiot so now i don't know if what i read is true or if the guy was an idiot then someone else completely different joins in and gives his two cents completely different than the other TWO guys and calls them BOTH an idiot.

So here I sit. Dazed and confused.

What i'm trying to learn: is first exactly which Cummins i have, 3 or 4. how to diagnose high and low flow cooling system.

and most importantly what can i actually FIT into this truck engine and transmission swap wise and what do i need to do for that to happen

I've been told countless times already by old schoolers at truck stops saying this truck is SUPERRRR easy to convert to a 13 speed. Which yes I plan on it, I just have no idea how. Do i need to change some harness's? or is it as simple as plug and play? Do i need to make my own brackets? is there a year-year engine or transmission i'm limited to? You know.. that kinda stuff

I'm what i like to call the everywhere guy when it comes to this stuff.. i know a teeny tiny bit about everything.. but when it comes down to books and underlying details, i'm just not there yet

so if you're out there. I need your help. if you're stopped right now on break.. (what are those?) go to bed! :) haha.
    other than that happy october
    and happy trails!
    hammer down!

any education about this beast even if it's not something i asked in the post is HIGHLY appreciated and taken in, not wasted. :) thank you
    89.jpg 90.jpg

John A., Brettj3876 and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Well which do you have high or low flow?

Are you able to get the CPL number from the engine?

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Join the Cummins 855 facebook page.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    BEEEEautiful!! The K-100 was top of the line,,,for cabovers. You couldn't have picked a better truck,,,for a cabover. Never knew the difference in the numbers, 3 or 4. I think most of the Cummins I drove, were the BC 3's, but didn't matter. It wasn't like the BC4's would beat a Cat anyway, but for reliability, BC Cummins always hauled the mail for me. Lose the 8LL. I drove a dump truck with one, was the most useless tranmission I ever drove. Since a Cummins isn't really happy with a 10 speed, although most Cummins powered trucks had them, go with the 13, and if you have the cash, taller gears, 3:55's seem a good balance. It's refreshing as heck to see a young guy with a K-100. Great trucks, if it has air ride, that is. Spring ride,,,not so much.:thumbup:

OLDSKOOLERnWV and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Being a 86 model it should be a Big Cam 4. Should be a tag with a CPL number on the left front of the engine. If the tag is missing look just below the head gasket at the rear left corner of the block, will be a raised area there with the serial number stamped in it.

I myself run a 1986 BC4, tag says it's a 315.... mine is a might more ;).

As mentioned above there is a FB page titled Cummins 855 enthusiast that has some very good knowledgeable heads.

Good engines but like anything else.... has its limitations.

Suspect Zero, 201 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Found out in 1987, the B,C 315 I ran in a Tri-Axle Dump truck. Would fly when I changed out the Button and spring.
    Buddy of mine that is good on the old engines. Told me the 315's were the same as a 400. Same pistons and all. Just less fuel, so after that change. That truck ran great grossing 74,000 lbs. Then pulled the bed and third axle off it. Mounted a 5th wheel, and hauled logs with it. Even grossing 100,000 it would pull. After I got out of it, The next guy, melted it down. He had no ideal what the ETG gauge was for.

MACK E-6 and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  9. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Yes that Pyrometer is a major key in protecting the engine when it is HOT :D.
    Sadly some fail to use it, and things go south lol.

400 has lower compression pistons than the 315. 400 times at .070 and 315 at .065 if memory is correct.

Pretty sure 400 & 365 share the same pistons, and most 315, 350, 300 and such share the same piston. Although there is a 350 hp that runs a 14.5 compression piston versus the normal 15.0 if memory serves right. I will have to look in my book out in the garage. It's been a while lol.

My engine is running the same turbo as a 525 red top N14, stock 400 injectors call for 176 injectors, my engine is running 220 injectors. It doesn't pull like a 315 or a 400 ;). @wore out and @Logan76 can tell you what my engine sounds like, it is a little different lol.

The big pump which I took off was calibrated for a 475 + 100% with the throttle shaft drilled out larger, and has KT and VT Cummins parts in it. It made a 565 ISX engine look like a 6-71 2 stroke Detroit ;).

Logan76, tnpete and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.