1986 GMC Astro rebuild...tach question

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Modrob, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    This truck did not come from factory with a tachometer and I'd like to add one. I'm not sure what I'm looking for--electrical, cable driven, etc... I've got a big shop manual now but not much on tachs. I'm thinking easier would be driven off alternator which is easy to access at the back of the cab...any ideas? Thanks much.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    5CC5CD61-8B49-4588-BF40-ABE60DB545B1.jpeg Here is a pic of the alternator..will get a closer pic shortly.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The Astros I have experience were older than yours. They had a 8V71 or 855. What I refer to could have been seen on construction, ag, stationary, or on road. The Astros had cable driven tachs. Some Detroits had tach drives off a gear cover just below and right of where your alternator is. Your truck probably has a pulley there that runs the alternator belts. Others had a tach drive off the blower. I was thanking it was on the left rear but that can be seen in your picture and there is not one.
    Some vehicles run the tachometer off of the alternator like the Volvo FE7 and some New Holland tractors. I thank they operate off the terminal which reads about half of the alternator voltage output around 6.4 through 7.25. How they convert alternator voltage to accurate engine RPM I have no idea but maybe a supplier can set you up.
    Some buses and RVs with these engines used an electric pickup connected to the mechanical tachometer drive.
    If you do not have a drive I would be looking for a 3/4 inch fine thread hole in the flywheel housing where the ring gear is or make one. Install a tach sensor and a gauge with dip switches.

5. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    My tach ran off my accessory drive. That's what the black cable is IMGA0014.jpg

Modrob Thanks this.
  6. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    Many thanks for that fine info.
    After finally crawling up under, I found one of those threaded holes complete with a sensor already. I believe it goes to a cable end for computer as a “download” pgm to monitor drivers. It’s covered with grime but maybe it’s still usable, and just maybe I can repurpose it for the new tach....I was able to find one that matches the Speedo now if I can manage to cut a nice 3-3/8” hole on the dash panel for it, without boogering it up...

7. KVB

KVB Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    I always had good luck with Isspro tachometers. They have many different versions and sizes.
    Electrical Tachometers - Page 1 - ISSPRO Inc.

If you want to use the sensor that is in the threaded hole and sensing the flywheel ring gear, you need MPU style tachometer.

If you want to use signal from alternator, make sure your alternator has a tachometer output (often called W-output). This will give out a pulse signal for the tachometer..

Number of pulses per revolution to be set with the dip-switches.

Example for MPU style 3 3/8 is R5535M
    R5535M

Instructions for the different models:
    ISSPRO.com - Quality Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers and more!

Good luck

Modrob and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.