1991 International 9670 Cabover Air Leak-Help Needed

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by boneytrucker, Mar 24, 2020.

1. boneytrucker

boneytrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2020
    1991 Intl 9670 COE

Air leak was discovered when holding tractor with foot brake down hill at a stoplight using more than usual brake pedal force.

When pushing brake pedal down, air leaks from the small hose (photo attached) in my hand under the floor pan. The harder the pedal is pushed, the more it leaks.

I checked to see if this hose was broken loose from any fittings in the floor, and could not find anything it would attach to.

-All brakes work normal.
    -Leak is not influenced by the position of the red tractor brake valve.
    -Leak is not influenced by the position of the yellow trailer brake valve.
    -Leak is not influenced by the position of the trailer hand valve.

I am mechanically skilled, 15 years on the road, and I have only owned this old truck for a short time and still learning.
    Is it possible the hose was plugged or capped from the factory many years ago and blew said plug out?
    Is it possible this hose is supposed to flow air? (...I highly doubt it...)

All pros please advise, thanks and God Bless. IMG_7998.JPG IMG_8329.JPG IMG_8330.JPG

Boneytrucker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you cannot find anywhere that hose goes to, I would plug it and sure that everything works correctly on your tractor and your trailer.

If you do not have one, it is possible that was a capped line from the factory that was for the option of a brake application gauge.

boneytrucker Thanks this.
  4. boneytrucker

Mar 23, 2020
    Hey that's something I did not consider. I do not have that gauge on my panel and it would make since to have that line on standby in-case one was installed. I did find a cylindrical piece of metal in the floor pan when I was cleaning up the mess shown in the pictures. I have a feeling that's probably it. Thanks for the reply Dino!

Dino soar Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    A '91 IH 9670? By gar, it's been a while,,,:thumbup:

Heavyd and boneytrucker Thank this.
  6. boneytrucker

Mar 23, 2020
    Yeah she gets a lot of looks, smiles on peoples faces from the memories of old time road trips when they were kids. Its fun to drive and easy to back. It's got a Cummins L10-330E in it. Not a hard puller but she gets along fine and sips the fuel compared to today's motors. Give $9500 for it down in South Texas last year. Just needed oil change and a thermostat. Interior is all original 1991 light blue everything. All lights work no electrical problems either. I'm glad to have her.

baha and Dino soar Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    L-10 Cummins? ( sound of 18 tires skidding) That truck must have been a pillow hauler, because an L-10 is the most worthless POS, next to the 3208 Cat. One of my company jobs, they got several brand new air ride Louisville Ford day cabs. The drivers were ecstatic, until we hauled our 1st 45,000 lb load of cheese. Some slick salesman told them 9-10 mpg was possible, so they took the bait. You can imagine their surprise, when we got the same mileage as a BC, ( 5-6) and it took us an extra hour everyday to get back. We burned them out in a year and a half. Glad I was getting paid by the hour with that junk.

MTN Boomer and boneytrucker Thank this.
  9. boneytrucker

Mar 23, 2020
    haha mine gets along. Starts and runs dependably, easy to work on. Its not a hard puller by any means, I do know what you are talking about with that. I got 7.62 mpg for all miles driven back in February. So far i've only have up to 36,000 in the box, and it pulled okay. It got 6.4 pulling that. i'm usually loaded between 12,000 and 30,000. 70 mph is about as fast as I go when I am loaded. Its got 4.10 rears and a 9 speed eaton overdrive. I would love to put a 13 speed in it so I could have a ratio between .74 and direct. In due time, i due time. Good tires will be my next investment.

The truck pulled carnival rides around the southwest USA and SoCal for 21 years. Only worked from spring to fall, then maintained and put away in south texas until it was time for the season to start again.

I found a Miller Genuine Draft bottle cap under the driver side floor board and a bunch of old Nascar signs under the bunk mattress when I was cleaning it up.

Boneytrucker

baha, 201, Dino soar and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. boneytrucker

Mar 23, 2020
    haha mine gets along. Starts and runs dependably, easy to work on. Its not a hard puller by any means, I do know what you are talking about with that. I got 7.62 mpg for all miles driven back in February. So far i've only have up to 36,000 in the box, and it pulled okay. It got 6.4 pulling that. i'm usually loaded between 12,000 and 30,000. 70 mph is about as fast as I go when I am loaded. Its got 4.10 rears and a 9 speed eaton overdrive. I would love to put a 13 speed in it so I could have a ratio between .74 and direct. In due time, i due time. Good tires will be my next investment.

The truck pulled carnival rides around the southwest USA and SoCal for 21 years. Only worked from spring to fall, then maintained and put away in south texas until it was time for the season to start again.

I found a Miller Genuine Draft bottle cap under the driver side floor board and a bunch of old Nascar signs under the bunk mattress when I was cleaning it up.

Boneytrucker

11. boneytrucker

Mar 23, 2020
    A few thousand miles after replacing the blown out plug with a good size screw, I can confirm that this line was indeed the culprit and no other issues have sprang up related to it. Thanks again for the help Dino.

Boneytrucker

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.