1993 FLD120 12.7?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by tnpete, May 10, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Looked at a FLD120 last Weekend. Old truck needs work. But doors are tight as some that have 400,000 miles. If not tighter. Shut drivers or passengers door. Its solid and not hinge drip. Seals are all still good. Looked close and they don't look like new seals. From what I can tell there factory. Truck shows 449.679 but Odometer is not working. Frame rails are clean, used and look 24 years old. but in great shape no rust. Bottom of cab and sleeper is clean. Does have some grease from U-joint's. But not bad on that, does not have oil everywhere.
    Truck needs paint bad. Has the 12.7 :D DDEC-ll (Wish it was a 3) 230/470 HP rating. 13 speed trans :D and 4.21 rearends with lockers. Truck was on a farm for 17 years. Then the guy that has it now used it to pull out of the fields to grain bins. And one trip per week pulling a load of grain off. I asked him how much oil the engine was using. He told me it took one gallon between 10,000 mile change. Has filter numbers wrote on hearter cover. And dates on the filters when changed. But the Odometer does not work. So guessing he uses GPS to keep up with miles?? That flagged a red light to me when the trucks not keeping up with the miles. How does it know for sure on the miles he put on it?
    I took the reader to check the miles. But took the DDEC3 and 4 with me. And the 2 card was still at my buddy's shop.:oops: I know brain fart I was thinking it was the DDEC-lll. So could not pull the miles and other info off the EMC.
    The truck did not show any blowby on the pipe. But pulled the oil fill cap. And this is what shows.
    Thinking the blowby tube may be stopped up?
    Truck also has 8 new drive tires. New steer tires all tires are lower grade tires. But new they may have 1000 miles if that on them.
    It has everything I have been looking for in a truck. older truck, 12.7,13 speed trans, and 70" flat top sleeper.:cool: But being I don't know the miles for sure. But going to try to get them off the EMC Friday evening or over the weekend. And thinking being it has spent most of its life on farms. It may well be a low miles truck. But it was ran OTR for the first 5 years of its life. But from what I could find out, it was used east coast then. If its low miles and that old, would an in-frame still be the best bet with that much coming out of the fill tube? Or run it if its low miles and see how long it last? Would be used to pull grain or dump trailer. Then after 2 years be turned into a single axle toy puller.
    Sorry for being long winded, but trying to cover everything I can think of on it.
    Pete

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Mileage is an important factor but a worn out engine is a worn out engine. It could be premature due to a hole worn in an air filter pipe or being ran hot. I have seen gysers like that run for many years, just some blowby through the cylinders. Others are at their end and they are selling it why? Pay what you would be willing to if you had to do an inframe at the most. They could have sent it to do an inframe and found the crank is bad. Put the pan back on it and sell it to you as just serviced with new oil in it. If pops did not pass away and the kidds are selling out I would really question it. The farm still needs a truck.

tnpete Thanks this.
  4. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Its an older guy, His son owns a nice peterbilt. And will not drive this truck. So the old man is selling it. As he does not like to have stuff sitting not being used. And he is also sold most of the other equipment that the son did not think was new enough for him. If I buy it my Mechanic is going to drop the pan. Check the bearings and go from there. He thinks the engine is going to be good. The old man even agreed to drive it the hour to the shop for me. As long as I pay for he work. And If I don't want it after that. He Will just drive it home. That tells me the old man has no issues with the truck. Or if he though there was something wrong he would not dive it an hour one way to get this checked. Or would he??

5. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Forgot even if I have a inframe done with rebuilt head. I would still have around $12,000. in the old truck. But still need a paint job. But truck should outlast me after that.

baha Thanks this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Where are you? The Detroit dealers around chicago charge either $6,700 or $7,600 for step one inframe. Add $2,000 if it needs a head. My understanding is 450 is max DDEC II. The 430/470 was DEC III. But I could be wrong. How much does he want?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Be as long winded you want to.

I will have to do some thinking. It's a pretty old tractor to be honest and it has rivets. Check and eyeball the rivets, each and every one on that truck body itself. That way if there is a problem with a bad rivet that's broken or fatiqued sheet metal cracking and wanting out off the rivet you might have problems.

I'll be back tomorrow and do some more over coffee as this thread develops. I really want to give this FLD a chance. But pew it's getting pretty old. I can probably form a opinion that the 93 FLD I drove which was a large condo for Ronnie Dowdy was one of the best trucks I ever worked in, never mind the 20K miles a month I put on it.

The Odo might be a problem. There should be a ECM you access on the engine. That should have the actual miles, total fuel burned etc.

tnpete Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    West Tn.

9. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Yes sir, will be looking over all the rivets also. And I did take the stuff to read the EMC. But thought it was a DDEC lll and did not take the DDEC ll card. So when it showed it was a ll and could not read it. That was the end of that. As it was an hours drive back to the shop for the card. Will be taking the right card over the weekend. And pull the info off the EMC. It's nice to have a good friend. That has all the stuff to read all the EMC's.
    Also agree its getting old for sure. But always liked those trucks. And the last one of those I ran was team. We ran 7500 miles per week in one. Even after that one driving Pete's Kw's and International's. I still like the FLD120's the best. Do wonder if getting EMC's or cab parts may turn into a ordeal later on?
    Will pulls Total miles
    Total hours
    Hours @ idle
    Fuel burned
    Life MPG
    Anything else that I need to write down?

There's a 1997 FLD120 not far from me. But it has the M11 and 10 speed. And small sleeper. I could live with the M11, but the 48" Sleeper is the issue with it. Plus guy is asking $12,500.oo for it. And its a factory single axle. Never been used commercial, but pulling a horse trailer. And I will be singling out what ever I buy in a couple of years anyway.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No, Small sleeper is nice but sorry, no.

M11? Eh... ya know it's good .. little engine that can... I think I can... with 52000 pound coils. It's not a ENGINE ya know? It's not a BAD engine, just... smallish. Whoever designed it knew what they were doing once you hit cruise and stay at that speed all day. Almost like a ship engine.

FLD120's I will always love them, but my secret love is the 379 long nose set back pete with the studio. The cab leaves something to be desired but with all the gauges in it and no computer in sight... it's something I can understand. Maybe one day I'll hit a truck show and look em over.

The one thing I remember from way back when is we had Japanese Steel in the frames. If so, they cracked right in front of the 5th wheel. I don't know anything about welding having had a few go arounds here learning from those who do work with welding heavy truck framing.

The ECM is a single piece. It's literally a solid state computer in a box. There is nothing in it to "Fix" mechanically. When they go bad, until you shut off engine you wont know it. I once saved EcKMiller a massive massive tow bill by not shutting off my M11 all weekend in Indiana running about with a dead ECM. It had reverted to mechanic running with music to match.

It will contain all information. But the mother load is in the shop where it is kept, there should be a three ring binder with it's name on it and unit number. Inside that binder is a life time repair work history. FLD's usually are in need of alternators, water sensor, front end work if abused too much. (*Alingment etc) If you are on split ice above salt lake falling off a small mountain with a huge crown, one steer is on pavement going straight, the other steer starts to drag and put pressure on the linkages.

If you are pulling a horse trailer you want a truck you can drive with a large coffee cup in front of the shifter without a lid. Then you know the horses will be happy. (Sorta, makes sense?) Beats having a trailer load of oneries stomping to want out of there.

tnpete and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Come on, most people today have no ideal what a small sleeper is. When I started out, would leave with 50 drops for the week. And in a cab over with a giant sleeper. Yes I had 32" of sleeper birth.
    Then I hit it big time got out of that old White/Freightliner and into a Freightliner hood. I think that old gal was a 1974 model. It was 11 years old when I got to run it. And man I had all kinds of room. Pass seat I could reach. And Man a 36" Sleeper what in the world. Crawl into bed and take off your clothes took on a new meaning. Fast Forward to 1990 and a 1989 FLD120 with a 48" sleeper man what a life now.
    Then a 1991 and a 1990 379 60" flat top man now where trucking. Then into a Condo FLD120. And I will say I was happy in it over the pete. Still love a 379, but don't like the cab. And guess I'm the odd ball, but still like a FLD120 Classic over them all.
    Pete

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.