1993 FLD120 12.7?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by tnpete, May 10, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    My T600 is a 93 ddec2. It has blow-by too but still pulls 6.5 round trip Montana to Colorado. Never misses a beat. Those did come in a 430 or 470 hp. Eric can get you more HP if you want it. Sending him an ecm to program for me.

tnpete Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I also grew up in shoebox coffin sleepers. I had transported a couple once or twice in it to get em out of very high threat areas. All I had was giggle for 300 miles through the suspension. ugh. Not doing that again.

Im actually GLAD the industry disposed of small sleepers. Humans need some space, to be human. No matter how many months Im able to stay in a large car, it takes either time off at home or a week in a hotel hamptons or something nice to get the sleeper out of your bones. It's only a thin matress and some steel.

tnpete Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It doesn't have to be. If it's a twin bed, then you can put any mattress you like!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Went back today, had the DDEC l and ll part. And got all the info but no Total miles. It did shock me on the rest though.
    Total Gallons 253285
    Engine Hours 44,051
    Total PTO Hrs 18,755
    Average MPG 11.9 :rolleyes:
    Trip miles 97356
    TRip Gallons 8191.9 And that does figure out to the 11.9???
    HP 425
    TRQ 1450
    But did not matter where I looked no Total miles for the life.?
    Pete

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok 253,285 gallons times 5 miles to gallon reveals a 1266425 miles possible

Engine Hours? That's a little bit harder. Let's try 35 miles an hour average against 44051 (Fleets do 50 mph avg, but my real world tripplanning and actual ETA delivery arrival falls somewhere between 25 to 40 mph avg with the exception of teams when we only stop 30 hours at most to guzzle 300 plus gallons of fuel for the next 30 hours. We do everything else inside the cab and sleeper including toiletry.

It came out to 1541785 miles theoratical max run. Take away 168 hours minus I guess 100 hours per week, that's a 25% or more loss sitting around sleeping, idling, waiting, cooling down etc. 44051 with 25% applied to the mileage theoratical run results in 385446 miles lost. (Not run, actual hours stay the same.)

There is a small percentage idle time applied through trip master against my safety bonus of around 3% or less, it could be cut down to 1% for the max payout by killing the engine at each and every single traffic light and starting up again the moment it turned green. I hoped they liked replacing starter motors. The safety bonus was only 65 dollars a pittance easily covered by one extra or two reloads for next day delivery each week)

1156369 miles is the result. So the actual vehicle itself has done with that engine at least a million one hundred thousand but no more than one million three hundred thousand miles.

When you talk about PTO hours, that throws a massive wrench into my numbers. My figures are OTR. Now with this PTO problem... I have to research it.

If the PTO means sitting still raising a dump bed a hundred feet... Im thinking i should toss all this.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I'm thinking the PTO may be counted if you bump the idle up with the cruse? But I did find out it may have started out life as a car hauler. Reason it has two 1/2" steel plates bolted in front of the cab on the frame. Right where the shock mounts goes. And off those plates used to be 1/2" wall tubing. There's a small amount of that left that was cut off with a torch. Also it has the 3" Drop car hauler front axle on it. And to the top of the sleeper is 103" tall with air in all bags.
    So if you take away the PTO hours that it was sitting still and not running. That leaves 25,296 hours. Then I know back when everyone left the trucks at idle. When eating, Bathing, Or what ever. Shoot there was times back in the 80's and 90's. My truck was never shut off for a week at a time. Unless fueling up then shut it off until it was fueled up. Then back on to keep it cool or hot.
    I know when I figured the gallons at 6MPG. And most of the FLD's with 12.7's back then got that. Or close that is 1.3 million miles at the gallons. But then take away PTO gallons and figure it at a gallon per hour. That takes away from the total gallons. And now you have 234530 gallons total on running and other idle time.
    So truck should still have around 1,000,000 miles..
    Guess I will look for a different truck. 12.7 with 13 speed and flat top or mid roof around 60" sleeper. Or Go with a Volvo and mid roof and D12.
    Pete

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I arrived at a similar conclusion. I suspect it's best to be looking for another truck. Those skid plates near the shock mounts did it for me the way you described it.

I don't have anything against old iron million mile trucks as long the rivets and so forth are good. But today's glue and resin million mile trucks? Are you kidding? Whatever happend to the old tradition of building something to last 30 years?

tnpete Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Did I miss it, or did you say how much they are asking?

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Why calculate miles?
    Total engine hours tell the whole story.
    And it is gone.
    Wore out and in need off a rebuild.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think million mile trucks go to chile or Israel to die after another million miles.

I just finished watching a death road show in trucking where it'\s basically a shelf of rock in which they hang a steer or outside tire over 3000 feet of nothing but death now and then.

I know I like mountain work. But that's not for me. I rather run Antigun Pass featured in Fairbanks north.

tnpete Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.