1996 Pete 379 bearing race

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Kenllah, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Kenllah

Kenllah Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Just pulled my axle housing due to cracks. I have new bearings for the rear drive hub that came with new races. How hard is it to knock out the old race and put a new one in. Guy at peterbilt said just use a hammer. Does that sound right, or press them in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Just punch and hammer out, I would use a race driver to hammer new ones in though.

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Aluminum or iron hubs?

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You can get by with a drift punch and a good heavy hammer and keep working it around. The cups will bind in an aluminum hub really easy so go little at a time and keep switching sides when hitting or in a star pattern like tightening a wheel. Lube the hub with gearlube before putting the new cup in and make sure its burr free.

This tool is the cats ### if you can beg, barrow or steal one from someone. Bit pricey for one job. Makes short work of it anyhow.

Universal Bearing Cup Installer | OTC Tools

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    On iron hubs, it just drive them out and in as already mentioned. Aluminum is different story. A weld a bead on inside of bearing cup and quench with water to shrink cup. Usually just about falls out. To install is like cooking a pizza, preheat oven to 275 and cook hub until 250. I put cups in freezer. Do one side at time, with a reheat required. Cups usually fall all the way in.

Tug Toy, swaan and pushbroom Thank this.
  7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Best to do the oven trick when the kitchen boss is out of town for a couple days so the oven has a chance to air out. LMAO

8. Kenllah

Kenllah Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Thx. No oven here. Although, Louisiana does feel like an oven sometimes. I found a good deal on a bearing cup driver. Aluminum hubs

9. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd

welding on the race is no necessary if you don't have a welder just makes them come out a little easier you can just drive them out with a punch without doing anything else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.