1997 PETE 377, AC on/off switch inop

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Zach93, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Zach93

Zach93 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    As title says AC on/off switch isn't working, as in it will not command the compressor clutch on. If I use the bunk on/off switch the compressor works fine and both relays click on and off. Tried another switch out of another truck, nothing. Can't seem to find a good wiring diagram that matches the truck wire colors. I have 12v out of the back of the switch on a large white wire labeled 495A and I have 12v at another white wire labeled 631 but this one will change from 0-12v with switch. I also tested the micro switch and it is working as well, 12v across both terminals when closed. What am I missing? It seems as though its something between the switch and the fuse box but what could it be with the bunk switch working just fine?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AArtemtrk

AArtemtrk Light Load Member

May 18, 2019
    Is it possible the bunk switch was hardwired or bypassed at some point? The a/c should have pressure switch that doesn’t allow clutch to engage when oil and refrigerant levels are low. The fuses are before the switches so as long as there’s power coming in to switch wiring from fuse box is good.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I can’t remember what it’s called, but there’s a temp sensor, with a wire probe,that goes into the evaporator, under the dash. If that’s bad or unplugged, it will cause your problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.