1997 Peterbilt 378 Crank no start

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Veeg378, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Veeg378

Veeg378 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2017
    I have a 97 Peterbilt 378. I had some welding done in the frame yesterday and the truck ran fine today. While driving today, I noticed my engine brake would only work when I pressed the brake pedal, as it though the cruise control was on. With the cruise control on/off switch in the off position,the cruise was still working like it was stuck on. The dash light does go on and off with the switch. I unplugged the switch with no luck. Now is where things get weird. While seeing if the cruise turned off, I'd rev the engine up and see if the jakes were working. After doing it two or three times the truck shut off and will not restart. I have no check engine light, to me meaning no communication with the ecm. I checked for power and ground on the ecm 40 pin. Had a corroded wire for the battery event recorder, fixed that and it still wouldn't start. So I replaced the ecm, installed it and still nothing!!! Please help!!! Cat 3406e 5ek70094 engine

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Electric welding maybe? That current wants off that frame somewhere and it's going to find it's out when it wants out. Usually burned something on the way out.

Your sequence of problems leading to a dead engine tells me maybe in your harness and or fuses you might have lost several wires or pathways between you and the ECM. Take a look at your fuses see how they are doing.

That would be where i start.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Did you see them take the batt. cable off before they started welding, you will have to find the fuse in the batt. box that powers the ECM its in a small box like a ad on type fuse ck all batt conn. for the small POS. and NEG, wires that lead to the fuse that powers ecm follow them to the panel in dash then ck key switch for power till you find where power stops

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Lazman

Lazman Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I had a 5ek that wouldn't start , come to find out it was the cam sensor that was located on the side of the cam gear , it was removed and the green piece at the end was pulled out some , reinstalled and truck started right up , still running today

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.