1998 Mack taking forever to start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 98mackliggett, Oct 17, 2019.

1. 98mackliggett

98mackliggett Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Okay so I crank on it for a long time and I have to hold the fuel pedal to the floor it rolls black smoke inside the cab outside the cab everywhere I know the inside is because of an exhaust leak but why is it taking so long and what can I do to fix it Winter's coming and I know it's just going to get worse

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Check your intercooler clamps. There should be a big pipe that supplies huge amounts of air if the clamps are loose then it will not work being exposed to outside air. Thats why you got that inky black smoke especially if it puts a sort of a oily coating on everything it touches.

The exhaust leak will need patching. Once you seal up that cab in winter with that leak, it's going to be a gas chamber.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. Collie

Collie Guest

Hey art, you are correct but I think xheavy was talking about the black smoke when he has the fuel pedal to the floor. They will puke black smoke with a big leak, but anyhow, was 98 a mechanical motor? If not, holding the pedal to the floor doesn’t have anything to do with it helping to start. Or am I wrong?
    Back to the basics here. Long starts,
    Fuel leak on supply
    Fuel pump

??? and Intothesunset Thank this.
  5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    98 should be an electronic controlled engine being an E6, or E7. And you really need to check your fuel filters, and if you have lost prime. Also look at air filter if you are not familiar with truck. I'm not much to do about Mack.

??? Thanks this.
  6. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    @x1Heavy has many years spent with Mack's. And I believe owns an older one right now. His info is very relevant. You need not to be so quick to make useless comments.

??? Thanks this.
  7. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Well some diesel engines have an air heating grid in the intake for starters.
    And if bad hose clamp on either side of engine you loose boost pressure. There is also air temp sensors involved.

8. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    No. I was being very gereral. I'm not a Mack tech, or any type of tech.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Putting foot to the floor is pretty much a waste of time. Mechanical diesel the governor has the fuel pump at full rack travel (why'd you think those old Jimmy's go wide open at startup when the rack seizes?). On an electronic diesel, the ECM generally commands full fuel at startup.

??? and Intothesunset Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not necessarily own legally. Just a lifetime ability to hop in and get going to work with the boss. Its either farm work or paving or something else. The last day I saw my boss he told me that if i ever get back there and have a day or two to kill, he has a pocketful of wages just need to fill that thing up and get to it anytime for life. Hes one of those people who will work until 110.

As far as someone talking bad stuff, thats unfortunate. usually I have people like that on a ignore list with TTR so we do not engage in tired worn out useless timewasting flame wars or whatever. Im already well aware that there are some who cannot stand it and unfortunately its a problem to be cleaned up when I will never see it here.

I know a little bit here and there, but not everything. And continue to learn a little more here and there such as the recent espar heater failure question elsewhere.

??? Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Good chance of being either old style P-pump or E-tech for a 98.

x1Heavy and Art Vandelay Thank this.
  12. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The more I think about it the more i lean towards the fuel. If you aint got fuel it will not run well. The why you aint got fuel? Well now thats something worth finding out.

I had a tractor get onery for a while until she really threw a fit. Refused to make power for anything. The shop after they finished being enraged at being presented with the sick truck for the 10 th time tore down the entire fuel system. Turned out the pump had a leaking seal inside it. Almost like a person trying to drink a soda with a straw that has a hole in it. You aint getting much if any through there.

Thats my experience anyway. Other than sometimes to be prepared to starve off the engine should it run away on starting. There were two valves under the fuel lines, shut them off and have the phone ready. She will either starve out and quit or catch fire. Or throw a rod etc.

The old mechanical engines were a lot of fun. It does not take much at all to get em going with that music in them when they are running happy. Not like the computer weed eaters today. You don't know for sure whats what.

??? Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.