1999 T600. Jakes, cruise and high idle not working.

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Ultra Wagon, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Ultra Wagon

Ultra Wagon Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Hi all, recently picked up a 1999 Kenworth T600 with a 12.7 Detroit and a 10 Speed. Previous owner told me that he thought I needed some sort of module to get the jakes, cruise and high idle to work. Most everything else on the truck works great except the fuel gauge (which I'll also address soon). It may also be worth noting that the speedo is a bit lazy (while accelerating, it sits at 20 for a few seconds, and jumps to 40 and seems to work fine after that). Should I be looking at this mysterious module or is there a sensor or somewhere else I should be looking at first?

Any advice or first-hand experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    check to see if you have clutch and brake sensors this would be first also check to make sure you only are suposed to have one speed sensor and not two at the end of trans, these are all things that affect engine brake and cruise together.

4. Ultra Wagon

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Thanks Nasriza, I'll get a look at that tomorrow and report back with what I find. Take care.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Pull your clutch pedal all the way back with your foot. Your clutch pedal return spring may have popped. If it doesn't come all the way back up, there is a little micro switch that doesn't get closed.

Just pull the pedal all the way back up and see if your cruise or jakes come on.

Ultra Wagon Thanks this.
  6. Ultra Wagon

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Thanks Dave, gives me something else to look for.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Ultra Wagon

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Well, one thing is apparent after crawling under this thing, I need a manual.

Other than that, there is only 1 sensor at the back of the trans.
    Also, I moved the clutch pedal up and down and it is definitely returning all the way and I can hear the switch catch and release as I take up the free play by hand.

Anyone have a good source for manuals?

8. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    sometimes the sensor is one but it breaks into two plugs can you see on top of the trans if you have an extra two pin plug

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If that pedal doesn't come all the way up by itself it won't close that micro swith. Try turning on your cruise or Jakes holding the pedal up with your hand or foot. If they come on, and you let go of the pedal and they turn off, then that's your problem.

10. Ultra Wagon

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Thanks Dave, but the pedal is coming up fine and the switch is opening and closing.

Nasriza, would this 2 pin plug be at about the 1 to 2 o'clock position if viewed from the rear? I have one there that has one round pin and one flat pin. Looks more like a temp sensor to me.

Also up for discussion: I found 2 wires that are about the perfect length to go to the Fuel Sending unit and I'm sure this is where they go. One wire is brown and the other is white. Anyone know which one goes to which pole on the sender? The sender also has a round and a flat connection but the ends of the wire have been clipped.

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    thats where the connector would be as far as sender wires connect them check if it works if it doesn't try to swap them not much you can mess up there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.