1lw08490 caterpillar 3406e

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by truckman29801, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Fishell Trucking

Fishell Trucking Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    It just all depends on how far u want to take it and how deep the pockets r. The sky is the limit RIGHT Ha ha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. that65

that65 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Lincoln,Ne.
    I'm trying to get sum pump parts made right now! lol...

4. Fishell Trucking

Fishell Trucking Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    Right on I don't know allot about the mechanical engines (NOT SAYING I KNOW ALLOT ABOUT THE ELECTRONIC ENGINE EITHER ) as I have never driven one before, but it seems to me that it is a little more work in getting them up to say 700-800hp than the electronic engines.

5. that65

that65 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Lincoln,Ne.
    Yea, and a lot more moving parts to worry about.

6. truckman29801

truckman29801 Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    SC
    Well for anyone who is watching or will read this i haven't had a problem with this engine, Dependable

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have never seen a lot problems out of the E model's even the 5EK engines. Those did have some crankshaft issues but usually occurred at high millage. But its rare for a detroit fan not to flame a cat and vise versa. Personally I don't care much about working on the detroits, but I will say you can build one in an outhouse and it will run. Most like the drip troit because the cam will come out the top of the head easily when it breaks an injector roller and ruins the cam. A cat has to come out the front of the head, takes a little ingenuity to get it out and not pull the head. Its just different strokes for different folks. But I am biased and think there are only two truck engines made, CAT and all them others lol.

8. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
  9. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    I do not have a biass towards any engine, many people love anything that is yellow. Personally I have worked on more Cats than any other engine and I worked at Freightliner. I had the privaledge of worlking and learning from two of the very best. when we started at Abottsford will did Cats, Lea did Cummins and I did the Detroits. We learned from eachother, and in the end we all did everything, and when a new engine came out we as a truck dealer saw it and worked on it long before the engine dealer did. The N14 had a lot of injector and pass threw problems, Cat has had a lot more problems when ever they brought out a new engine, Detroits the fewest. Freightliner sells 3% of it's trucks with Cats and I worked 75% of my time on Cats. Just look at the threads, count which engines are having problems.
    The "E" when it was finally all fixed, new block, new head, new cam, new rockerarm bolts, new rocker arms, then the only problems were the front and rear covers and the head leaking, and oil pans cracking. You get people blabbering about green leakers. We did front covers on all the engines, the Cats were by far the worst, no other engine manufacturer wanted us to glue the head, the front cover, and rear cover to the block.
    Look at the EPA numbers on the Cat it is on the oil cooler, Look at a Detroit or Cummins of the same year?
    Just a thought!

"Hang - Man" Thanks this.
  10. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    The post 2007 engines have more problem than 2004 egr engines. Acert is a pain a butt because of turbo setting.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Since you worked for freightliner I may have a thought on why you worked on so many CATS. Its true since detroit developed the 60 series they have had the frieghtliner market sowed up. A few Cummins in them and like you said fewer CATS. Whether its frieghtliner, pete, kw, IH, most seem to stick with a brand when they trade. I would say there are more freightliners on the road than any other. If they are used to a Detroit and run a CAT like a Detroit it is not gonna do well. Detroit and Cummins both run similar rpm's. No I didn't bring this up to be difficult or fuss but it may be something you overlooked. All jokes a side we work on more Detroits in my shop than the other 2 and even fewer Cummins than CATS. But its because the Detroit is the most popular and out numbers the other two. Cummins are scarce around here. I don't have anything against the other two, but I do prefer a CAT in my own stuff. Maybe because I have worked on yellow iron all my life who knows. I do know they can all be junk when not taken care of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.