?? 1st time on road...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ladyjoy, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ladyjoy

ladyjoy Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I'm the kind of person who likes to be prepared and I really don't feel prepared at all. Got my CDLs last week, will be going out with a trainer on Monday. We leave NC and run to Ca. I'm just kinda curious about hopping in the truck with someone I don't know and so forth. Another thing I'm concerned about is taking a shower at a truck stop. Do they have a place where a woman can get ready? By that i mean blow dry her hair and so forth? Can someone elaborate on that for me? Oh yea...and anything you think might be of help or interest.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joy:flower:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    there isn't any 'ready room" so to speak of. just imagine your bathroom at home..........

that's basically a shower room at truckstops. toilet, sink, mirror, electrical plugs.

some words of caution though. DO NOT SIT on any chair, bench, or stool in those shower rooms. because you never know what the other driver "has/had" when he sat down.............and you WILL catch it........

wear shower slippers as well, as the floors are not ####-n-span clean either. maybe bring your own soap, as the bars of soap are so tiny, you MIGHT be able to wash one hand, but not the rest of your body.

by the way, the shower rooms are "generic", not women's specifically or men's specifically..........

4. ladyjoy

ladyjoy Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Hey pro1driver thanks a bunch. I've waited so long to be at this point and it looks like I'm finally there. I decided to go to school back in Oct, finally started the end of Nov and BAMM I finally got my CDLs. I've learned alot from reading all the forums. My first week on the road I admit, I 'kinda' dread in a way. This is a whole new way of life for me, I'm just hoping for safety and a good paycheck.:smt045

5. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    Good luck!!If You dont feel comfortable about Your partner on the road make sure You tell Your company about it.There could be a lot if things trainers try to put on a newbies.But hope You'll along.

6. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    when i hear of a "newbie" getting ready to "take to the road" there is always a little envy on my part. the reason being is that it can be an exciting time for you. new experiences, new places, new people, new challenges, new just about everything.

enjoy your training while on the road, pay close attention to details, ask questions, and be safe out there. let us know how you're doing.

good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.