1st Year Hauling Fuel in Jacksonville, FL

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DrtyDiesel, Jan 4, 2015.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Taxes not done just yet, haven't gotten my w2, hopefully soon though.

We haul 8800 gallons of gas. That's a legal load for our trucks with pumps. If I'm in a truck without a pump I can swing 8900 gallons.

Bigdaddy00 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Do the 4 wheelers respect you, or do they cut you off like any other trucker? Have you ever or almost dropped wrong product into a tank? Are the fumes strong or do you barely smell them?

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Locals up here do 12,000 gals of gas.....legal or not.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    No, the 4 wheelers will cut you off and slam on brakes. They don't care, they don't pay attention. They'll treat you like any other truck. It can be very nerve wrecking when you're in rush hour traffic and they constantly do that.

I once dropped diesel then switched the hose on the trailer but forgot to switch the ground connection. Almost pulled the handle before I sensed something wrong. I followed the hose and switched the ground connection. My trainer always taught me to get into a routine that way if you break it, you can feel in your gut something wasn't right. So I caught it before touching the lever on the trailer. Now I always follow my hose before pulling the lever.

The fumes you get used to. Most stores have vapor recovery which uses two hoses. I hook a product hose up to the tank then a smaller vapor hose up to the vapor connection. It keeps the whole thing a closed loop. Some stores have faulty vapor so you'll smell it every now and then.

Dinomite and Weeble Kneeble Thank this.
  6. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Our trailers only allow up to 9400 gallons, 9200 on the newer ones. I get paid the same whether I take 7500 or 9200.

I usually load whatever dispatch sends me, company pays overweight fines. Though if they send me an overweight load, and i know im going to cross scales, I usually just cut it back to legal weight, mainly to avoid a delay.

Bigdaddy00 Thanks this.
  7. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I will add, the vapor clings to your clothes. I get used to it so much that I don't smell it but when I lived with my brother I went home and was talking to him. He told me to go take a shower because I smell like $3.80 a gallon lol.

I also don't wear my shoes into my apartment on the carpet. I take them off on the tile and my clothes go straight into the washing machine. I use extra detergent and oxy-clean to get the fuel smell out. Though if I have a big stain from diesel on my clothes I just throw those away. Learned the hard way just how difficult it is to get diesel out of clothes.

8. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Did you finally move to Jax? I'm pulling a dump for Cypress, pretty sure I pass your yard there off of Talleyrand on my way home. Glad to hear you're happy driver.

DrtyDiesel and Dinomite Thank this.
  9. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah. I finally moved up here, glad I did. Being 20 minutes from work is real nice and yeah our yard is at 21st and tallyrand. I see yalls dump and flatbed trucks all the time in that area.

10. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Load pay for hauling fuel my goodness. Do they pay u for waiting at the rack or if it goes down?

11. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    What do you mean by load pay for hauling fuel? Is it normally hourly where you are?

They pay after 1 hour, $10/hour. Since I started I've only used it once. In my pay that was what the $10 was for where it says waiting pay or detention, whichever I wrote. I hardly ever have to wait more than 30 minutes to load working nights. Every now and then I have to wait because the rack is down for inventory but if that happens I can swap my loads around and go load at a different rack then come back when this one is up again. Or I can turn the load in all together and choose a different load or go home depending on the situation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.