2 Ears & 2 Eyes Here to Learn From You Guys In the Know...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jax Graddy, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Jax Graddy

Jax Graddy Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Georgia
    Guys,

For years I have had, "O/O Truck(er) Envy." Meaning, what I want more than anything is to be my own boss. And in a profession related to something I believe I would enjoy. Trucking.

I'm going to ask my questions quickly here, so you guys won't need to read the whole book (below). My questions are:
    • As an Owner / Operator, what mode of trucking is ... the "lowest hanging fruit?"
      • By that I mean: What mode of trucking is the least complex and/or troublesome, yet is up there with the most rewarding mode financially.
      • By mode I mean: Drop n Hook, Reefer, Flatbed, Dry Van, Intermodal, etc, etc, etc.
    Here's the book, I recommend you throw back a No-Doze and read, but no harm no foul if you're already dozing off and ready to move on.

I've just turned 50 years. I'm still healthy. I have been steadily socking away money as hard as I could sock it away. I have a better than decent amount squirreled away. My house is a rather expensive one and nearly paid for. I have about 4 years left on it if I just pay it on out (at 2.875% I will not pay it off early). I'm sure some of you guys have more expensive houses, I'm not trying to thump any chest here. Just trying to shed light on my position.

I'm at a point here that I would like to make a change in my career soon. I'm an engineer. I have patents. But all my sweat and toil is for "the man." I'm at a point that I could take a leap for either what time I have left, or for the next 10 to 20 years, whatever I choose and whatever the Good Lord may give me.

I do not currently have my CDL, but I have already chosen which school I will go to. It is fairly local, and easily afforded. I wanted to already go ahead and get my CDL, but my plan fell apart when my dad got so sick I couldn't take the time to do the school. And I'm glad I didn't because he passed away (earlier this year) during the time I was wanting to do the school.

Truck: I can afford to buy a truck cash. New or used. I will NOT buy new, at least in the beginning. And I'm tending the think that I might be willing to hold out for a good shape pre-emissions old school truck, just to get rolling on this adventure. Because, in any event, an old truck is going to break stuff, and new trucks are going to have to fight all that emissions stuff. So, over maybe a 3 year period, I'm guessing maybe about the same $ amount of repair would go in either one (new school or old school). However, I think an old school truck is going to hold its value better. So if I puss out, at least I can sell the truck for a reasonable amount. And return to my original career field maybe.

I have 3 sons. The youngest will be in college in less than 2 years. Depending on how that and things go with the older 2, I think about that time is when I may try to make this move to a new career. So I have time to try to figure things out. My current wife, well, I'm maybe on the verge of trading her in. So yeah, big changes coming to my life (potentially) over the next 2 years.

Over the next months, I'm going to be reading and learning as best I can on here, so that I can make the wisest choices possible. I don't want to drive for a company to get experience, only to be lied to the whole time and fed peanuts. I'd rather drink from a fire hydrant from the get go, make mistakes and figure it all out. Not saying I WON'T drive for a company first, but saying I DON'T WANT TO, and will try not to.

Lastly - Please don't read any kind of high horse crap from my end. Anything above that may sound that way, was not meant to. I'm no better than anyone else. I have much respect for you guys (or anyone) who's out busting their hump to do a job. Ultimately, I think I'd want to expand the O/O position and have a few other trucks running around earning. But who knows, in 5 years time I may come back in here and say, "why the hell would I have wanted that?"

I'm all eyes and ears here to learn from you guys in the know ... with much respect for your experience!

Jax Graddy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Unless you have some pretty decent experience in trucking,
    or a very experienced mentor to help, you dont want to jump into O/O right out the gate.

You should really get your feet wet as a company driver for at least 2 to 4 years first. This will let you see if you are really up to the lifestyle of trucking... Cause once you go O/O you are married to that truck, and a divorce can be more expensive than divorcing a spouse. You can gain alot of valuable knowledge as a company driver if you pay attention and ask questions about lanes, rates, markets ect... But this knowledge is very hard to understand from the outside looking in, you need to be part of the machine that is trucking to really begin to understand the finer points that it entails.

4. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I was you 7 years ago.literally ivr learnt 99% of every Thing from these people. Seeking advice even before you get you cdl is awesome.....always remember. Ots a process. This can not he done 9ver night. You will need to be company driver at least 2 or 3 years. Ask as many questions as you can. And start driving the type of trailer you will always or at least mostly always want to drive

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    @Cattleman84 and @feldsforever said it right. I'm sure some of the others on here will agree.
    Get yourself some actual experience in trucking before you make the jump to O/O
    The failure rate for new O/Os is very high and you'd be taking a risk that there's no need to take. Trucking is a lot more complicated than it appear from the outside.
    Keep us informed as you go along and you can always get guidance and advice here.

6. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Check out new driver with own authority post on this board. People are giving all kinds of advice.

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Back when I started researching was when I joined this forum in 2017. I to did not have a CDL and have been a production Manger for 15 years. I did all the research and watched and asked few questions.

after two years I got my CDL from a school and paid for it myself. I had lined up a job local that did oversized flat bed. Started got to do two runs and the insurance company cut them lose because of another driver wrecked and was under a year with CDL. So they put me in the yard while trying to find another insurance company that I could be under. Could not find one so they offered me a job as a installation guy. Turned down and went to work for a few months with my old employer.

did that because I wanted to work while waiting on my numbers and to get truck. Got truck and off I went. Rented a dry van for first year plus and bought new trailer. Have new truck in order now as I bought a 2014 Volvo 670.

spent a lot of money on repairing it the whole time and is now a great running truck. I make a pretty good living and work when I want. I do everything book keeping to booking loads and driving. It is. I e to be on my own and do what I want to do when I want.

do the research and go for it. Buying the truck will be the hardest part of it. Have someone really look over the truck before buying. You have plenty of money to do this in the front. If I would have it would have saved me 20k my first year.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Unless you have a large nest egg you can burn to learn everything you would learn from driving for someone else then by all means jump in. I did and now my 3rd year is coming to a close. But if you can’t burn 60k to learn, then driving for someone else is best choice.

feldsforever and Siinman Thank this.
  9. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Yes
    a company driver with an inquiring sponge-like mind is what you should be for at least a year. make you stupid mistakes on someones time and equipment not your own. LEARN from those mistakes and you will have a much better chance of becoming one of the smart and successful ones. You will be lied to but don't lose you cool, take it in stride and remember the cool relaxed ones are the memorable ones and if you are going to succeed in this business you need to be remembered.

10. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    You didn't mention what type of engineer you are, but I'm guessing you have a few braincells still pumping well. So, I tend to think you'll be a quick study regarding the industry. So, although I totally agree with all who advise to start out as a company driver, you will probably be able to competently jump to O/O quicker than many. My opinion.
    That said, I had dreams of Owner Operator myself when I started. But, after actually driving a couple of years and learning from observation and experience as best I can, I've chosen to stay a company driver instead. For my specific situation, the risk benefit analysis just didn't work out for me. Obviously others end up with different results that work better for them.
    I'm not an engineer, but I've worked directly with many Electrical, Mechanical, Civil and Software Engineers, along with Hydrologists, Geologists, Physical Scientists and a slew of other incredible smart individuals. I was an Electonics Technician for 15 years and a Cartographer for 23. When I 'retired' from all that, I still needed to work a few more years before I fully retire, so ended up doing this. I've recently concluded I'm actually not a truck driver although I am competent doing it. I'm simply a traveler. Being a truck driver is the mechanism that has and is enabling me to continue to he a traveler!
    Best of luck to you!

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d say chances are your a quick learner. One year to get the basics down, and decide if you want to get deeper into it. You’ll figure it out along the way. One year isn’t very long, especially Trucking. Time flys by. No need to wait at 52 yrs old. I’m sure you notice the phenomenon of time speeding up. I’m 57 now, normally I’d say work 2-3 yrs. But in your case, don’t waste any more time than what’s needed to get a good grip on the ins and outs of this Industry. Lot of O/Os that Can’t or won’t change a fan belt. You can learn more as you go. There’s the basics, and then there’s plenty more to learn, much more than most realize. It’s a lot more than just Driving around. Lol

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.