2 incidents, 1 more I'm fired...leave now??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Durus Malleus, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Durus Malleus

Durus Malleus Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2021
    So, I'm a newbie. 6 months driving. I glanced the back of my beat up container off a beat up container at the railroad...but its "an incident...an accident etc" A few days later I then bumped a kiosk, that one drives along side of while leaving and moved it slightly, and reported it to the inventory gate guard on duty who said there was nothing to see, no damage, and don't even bother to report it... but I had already informed my company. This was accident #2 and I had to have a sit down with 3 managers who told me that I'm welcome to stay...they are "behind me all the way" and they "believe in me" etc., but the statistics are such that probably a 3rd incident will occur within the 1st 90 days if 2 already happened...and if any more tiny slight bumps with no damage happen within 1 year (the 2 I had happen there had no damage and I'm 2 weeks on the job at this company) I no longer qualify to work there by their own company standards (fair enough).

This isn't about me taking responsibility. I know I sucked and can't bump stuff and expect to work anywhere. I got it. I will be better and I am already on my way up in this world. This is a learning experience and stepping stone. I'm learning and a work in progress. This question below is only about protecting my livelihood so I can pay rent and eat. From what I've read already, I need to retain power over my job and be proactive and find another company...but I'd like to make an informed decision. This is a great company but I need to put me number one and being honest with them over these 2 minor occurrences did not matter in the slightest to the company. They just need 3 before firing me since I'm not a jerk ;)

Should I find another (or even a better) job and quit while my history still reads I was not terminated?

alds and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    You working for a container hauling company right? Aren't most containers beat to crap? I wish you the best of luck and hope nothing else happens.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    "but the statistics are such that probably a 3rd incident will occur within the 1st 90 days if 2 already happened."

Yep, youre being careless, slow down.

Why do you think itll be better elsewhere? its a YOU problem to fix, plenty of drivers out here never hit anything besides a curb

5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I wouldn't stick with a container company if you are on probation. Better to quit than get fired. You will want to declare the 2 accidents you have had. Say it was the nature of the container industry that they are packed in tight (which they are), the yards are a mess and you were pressured to be productive.

LoboSolo and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Don't get yourself in trouble by reporting every little thing that happens. Thing always get bumped, parking spots are to tight at some places.

7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I would stop bumping stuff.

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I’d stick it out to the 1 year mark and be a lot more careful.

Job hopping isn’t good on a resume.

You sound honest and intelligent - and neither incident affects your MVR.

Just slow down and be vigilant.

9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    As mentioned above
    Slow down, get out and look, don’t let any other drivers or shippers etc pressure you either directly or indirectly to rush

It’s your job not theirs
    Sure we all hate waiting while some drivers takes forever to get parked but every single driver has had their first day, week, month etc

I also would stay where you are at but I’d be less inclined to call my boss until you knew for sure there was a problem
    I’d let the shipper know if any damage maybe even if no damage as they all have cameras now
    And if it’s a non issue like wreck number 2 then move on with your day

Most people worry way more about the what if rather than what did

Speed_Drums and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don’t take this personal, but you either have to get better driving habits or go find a job away from the truck.

It takes time to learn how to drive to a truck.

CrappieJunkie, buddyd157 and wis bang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.