2 Questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notch, Jun 7, 2007.

1. notch

notch Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I'm thinking about learning to become a truck driver. I've been studying for my permit (CA) and am leaning towards Schneider. I have a few questions and any input would be Highly Appreciated.

1.) I Drove a 26 foot U-Haul the other day (the biggest thing I've ever driven) and was a lil intimidated. How hard is the transition from a regular passenger vehicle to a Truck? Is the size something that you end up adjusting to?

2.) I've been told by Schneider that the route I would be driving for the is the western states. Actually the "I-5 Corridor" anyone have any input on this route? What are the ups and downs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notch

notch Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    okay, i see no one has responded. Are these dumb questions? I could really use the advise. I am haveing a difficult time deciding if this is what i want to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Size is some thing that you will get used to.

I had drove all sizes of tractors from lawn and garden tractors to 400HP with 50' wide farm implements.

And 80,000 was intimidating to me at first.

5. MXH

MXH Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2006
    When I got out of the Army many years ago, I rented a U-haul truck from Lousianna to Georgia. It was the biggest thing I ever drove and it scared the hell out of me.

I've been driving tractor trailers for a few years now, and before I started driving them, I recalled that U-haul experience. Main thing is there is no rear-view mirror, and you have to get used to the space you need when turning and changing lanes.

I was scared to death to drive the U-haul, and I was scared to death to drive the semi. The fact that a big vehicle scares you is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I met a owner operator when I first started driving trucks. He had been driving for years, and he told me that "The day I have no fear driving this truck is the day I quit driving. It's just too dangerous, and the fear keeps me aware."

I've only been on I-5 in Washington and Oregon. It also goes through Cali. Sort of like I-95 on the West Coast. But it's probably not as bad.

6. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Like everyone else said, it's only natural so be intimidated, don't worry, that will pass.
    And running I5, have fun.You will see some beautiful country, you will also see a lot of traffic (LA,Seattle,Portland). Oh and course Tejon Pass can be interesting, depending on what traffic is doing.

7. PitStop

PitStop Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Texas
    One thing to remember, driving a big truck is a lifestyle, not just a job. You eat, sleep, whatever in that truck, you take showers in truck stops, eat meals in "restaurants", and spend 99% of your time alone except for phone conversations and CB conversations (which I don't have much because of all the crap on there).

I had never driven anything bigger than a U-Haul myself and yes the big truck was intimidating, but now after only 3 yrs it's like driving my car except I have a 53' butt!! Never forget that part, I did and took out a guy's whole front end after only driving for 2 months!!

Being a female, I also have other considerations, one major, toilet facilities!! I'm over 50 so that is a big thing with me. I have a portapotty which is a life saver, and I DON'T park on ramps for my 10 hr break and if at all possible I don't do rest areas either.

As far a the pumpkin school, they are good, I went with them. My problem with them is they gave me the NY and NE craps loads once I got out on my on truck, because I was a trainee. For the first year consider yourself a slave because if you go to their school, you will owe them 1 yr for the cost of the school. They have a special training board for the new drivers, and they are good at lieing to get you to do the crap loads. You have to learn your limits and stand firm.

Think long and hard before going into this profession, talk to more people and try to get as much info as possible. Let us know what you decide. Drive safe.

8. Networkman

Networkman Bobtail Member

May 31, 2007
    Why not? I see lots of drivers park in rest area's. I can understand about not parking on a ramp, due to crazy drivers out there but I don't understand the rest area thing.

I will start driving school at the end of this month and am trying to find out everything I can.

9. 8x8

8x8 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Everyone is going to be nervous first time, but as you drive more & more it soon ( or at least should ! ) become 2nd nature, apart from constanly checking mirrors & the rd ahead, monitoring guages etc etc. I had a great experience with Central tech driving school in drumwright OK ( nr Tulsa ) I went their from Ca home because, of its reputation & low cost, was hired by Werner right at the school first time out with the trainer I drove from Fontana depot soon as we hit the grapevine ( I-5 N. LA for people who don't know ) it started heavily snowing,( missed the Chain reqirements by minutes ) I love it ( mtn driving ), same again Mt Shasta heading into OR. I found it challanging and made the drive shift fly by compared to those boring flat mid western states anyway thats my biased opinion. Have fun.

:biggrin_25517:

10. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    In my forty plus years out here,I have never had any safety issues with the orange drivers,i attribute it to their schooling there,the trucks are a little slow but that's the best way to learn. I see way too many newbees driving over their heads,I can tell just by the way they are holding the wheel,steering wheel spinners,going like hell all over the road,and running on their nerves instead of their brains.I am glad and feel safer that most of you are using your heads out there,you ae driving a real killing machine out there,don't let it ever become one,be safe,arrive in one piece and stay off the news,you may miss that news report and never live to see it. I'm telling you if you don't believe me now you will later,after you've witnessed what you'll see everyday of your life out here.It is a good living if you play it safely.

11. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Drivers ,one more thing,about steering wheel spinners,I picked up a truck for my boss once in bangor me from freightliner,the driver had a spinner on the steering wheel,I proceeded right to go up the exit ramp,the spinner got caught in the safety belt that I always wear,I had my boss behind me and he had to jack up when i did. I never liked or needed one of those spinners,once you know how to back up properly that spinner is useless,you only need it to correct all of yur mistakes when learning,it can be a hidden hazard if it catches your jacket,shirt or worse the seat belt. Stupid thing but it happened. Don't you love the guy that gets out of his truck with fingerless gloves and walks like he has two six guns shooting with both hands,sorry,I have to avoid the direct look ,i will start laughing and won't be able to stop. Kinda like a wannabe biker with brand new shiny gloves chaps boots wallet,the whole 9 yards and more. It just amuses me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.