2 questions regarding traction and accidents

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    So they’ve been telling me in school that stopping distance is better with a load as opposed to running empty because you have better traction. However, what about the inertia of the heavy load behind you? Even if traction is better, you now have all of this inertia so how exactly does stopping distance improve?

Second question: regarding being the first one at an accident scene, what do you do if you’re 3-4 lanes over from the accident with traffic in the other lanes the whole time blocking your view of the accident so you don’t see the accident until the last minute you pass by it? Or if you’re blocked in those lanes from crossing over?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Without a load it much like trying to stop on a slick surface. It doesn’t have any grip to slow down. When loaded all that weight keeps the tires fimly pressed into the pavement to slow you. Also the brakes on these vehicles are designed to be used when loaded. When empty they can be incredibly touchy.

As a professional driver you should be in control of your vehicle at all times. You’re 70’ x 80,000lbs. You should be slowed down well in advance and you should be actively scanning your mirrors and surroundings. You should be prepared for the accident t even when their isn’t one.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A loaded truck is always going to be safer to drive. Might seem strange, but it is the truth. Heck, I have discovered that it takes more foot pressure on the brake pedal bobtail to stop. Weird!

5. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I get that the brakes are to be used when loaded and the tires are firmly pressed on the pavement. But what happens to all that inertia from the load? That inertia is still there. Doesn’t that inertia cancel out that improved traction from the load?

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You're overthinking this. The weight and mass is there, but the vehicle is made to handle it. Take that weight away and the vehicle can become more unstable.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If I see and accident happen, (that I'm not anyway involved in, of course), and I'm in traffic away from the accident, I keep going. Plenty of other people closer will stop and if I try to get over I could cause more crashes and make things worse. If I first on the scene and no one else is around then of course I would stop.

Opus, Joetro, pmdriver and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you’re not involved and there are other rendering aid, keep on trucking.

“ But Six, what if I want to help?”

Review the regs on the placement of your emergency triangles.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    First question is utter bullsh****.

Traction only comes into play when there is a loss of friction between the road and tire.

Physics has a lot to do with it, you are an 80,000 lb object trying to stop from 65 to 0 and it takes longer than 30,000 lb object to stop.

BUMBACLADWAR and ZVar Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Second querstion first.

If the accident did NOT INVOLVE YOU, you keep moving. You do not want to be involved in something that you are not sure of. You would be in the way.

Tractors do not like to stop because there is nothing on the drives. The airbags or suspension don't know it's empty and your tires don't have anything on them. It's harder to get stopped. Empty tractor trailers are a real pain. But not too bad.

I actually need to be heavy. The more the better. I am very good at forcing a big truck loaded to stop if that's what needs to happen. Or get it slowed below around 31 where I can now manuver if there is time and room still to do it. That usually happens on dry pavement. Sometimes there is no place at all to put it so you have to stop. I steamed over a hill with a 90K container once at 85+ and there they were stopped dead on all lanes in front. Median is no go and the shoulder protected by a 70 degree slope. So stop

I made the stop but it was probably the longest 10 seconds of my life because I was not sure if she will do it from that speed. When I got out of the tractor I stepped down onto a vehicle next to me where i nosed in between to make sure I did not hit them while bleeding off the last of the speed.

Another time I was in south side Indianapolis where two exit lanes come off 465 I believe. Both of the exit lanes were blocked and the backup filled the right two of the four lanes with me in the far right bobtail. I had no place to put it except on the shoulder.

By the time I got stopped on that shoulder I counted back to the end of the cars and it came to 24 vehicles. That's approximately 700 feet. Part of the reason was the shoulder was not swept. It was grit under there that interfered with the ABS.

If I had been loaded with a trailer I would have hit at a minimum 10 of them, probably killed at least 4 and hurt the rest. Twice that number would be involved also

I made sure to bypass Indianapolis from that year forward. It was no longer worth the risk for future traffic problem that probably continues to this day.

11. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    You see, they told us we are supposed to pull over and help even if we AREN’T INVOLVED. Because apparently truckers are the first line of defense so before cops and paramedics arrive we are supposed to pull over, set the triangles, take pictures and ####, help the people in any way we can, wait until authority gets there. Otherwise you get fined and go to jail because it’s a misdemeanor. It’s one of those Good Samaritan laws

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.