2-stage cylinder help

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Kozakvod, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    On my cx7 the number 18 is a 2-stage cylinder. It moves up smoothly and evenly. Coming down empty it’s obviously slow but it comes down. As soon as i put weight on it, it won’t move an inch. What’s the problem? Where do I look?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I've had a similar problem and it was the channel and post were grooved and lubing them up with grease temporarily solved the issue. Eventually the metal needs replacement. Also, check the cylinder attachment points at the top and bottom. They wear the cylinder eyes and eventually create rounded out holes. That'll create enough sloppiness where the cylinder isn't pulling in the correct direction.

Hammer166 and Kozakvod Thank this.
  4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Graphite most likely

5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    4CB26F74-64A8-4868-AAB3-B12ECD8F6D44.jpeg I use this for some of my posts and all of my slider channels. It is the best lube I have found. It is pricey so I buy it in the paint can style in a gallon bucket for big jobs. I keep a spray can version in the truck for temporary sliding issues. It allows decks to slide or lower much better than slip plate does on my rig. For my posts that I physically come in contact with I still slip plate because the Fluid Film does not dry and comes off on you if you come in contact with it.

6. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    Banker where can I purchase? Online or specific shop?

7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Sometimes Amazon is the cheapest other times they aren’t. The last time I just googled fluid film and bought a case of spray cans at a good price, but I am not sure who the vendor was.

Kozakvod Thanks this.
  8. VTech

VTech Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Lowes and Advance auto around my house sells the spray cans. But it's definitely cheaper on Amazon.

9. RV transporter

RV transporter Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Kentucky
    If you are talking about the shafts inside the hydraulic cylinder not extending with weight on it you have damaged packing inside or a open relief valve

10. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    I get it on eBay.

11. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    Nope. The shafts extend (raise) just fine, and without weight, they return normally. They had been NOT coming down with weight on them. I found the Fluid Film at Lowe's last night, I was already loaded today so I sprayed everything down after getting unloaded. I'll throw my old truck on it tomorrow and see if that solved my problem or not. Absolutely sliding more smooth now, hopefully #18 was just binding up in the guide rails.

BigBob410, VTech and Banker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.