20 qt yeti better , or a knock off to keep ice 5 days ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RockyTopTn4life, Apr 7, 2018.

1. RockyTopTn4life

RockyTopTn4life Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Wanted to have ice cold drinks for the week ... Thanks to anyone who has used this style cooler or a knock off ... the iceless coolers dont keep drinks as cold and take up tons of space .. Thanks for any advice ..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    I have the knock off from Wal-Mart, bag last about 4 days, not as well as my Yeti big cooler for camping.

4. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to improve the iceless coolers to make them work even better. It only costs a few extra dollars. They're called thermoelectric coolers.

5. RockyTopTn4life

Nov 26, 2016
    Ok thanks for couple replies guess forum has died ...

6. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    There aren't many people that will spend $300+ on a cooler. The ones that do are usually the same ones that spend $500 on a pair of sunglasses. I'm waiting for Yetie to start selling sunglasses.

passport220 Thanks this.
  7. RockyTopTn4life

Nov 26, 2016
    Yeah thanks for any replies from people who have used one ice retention etc thanks ...

8. RockyTopTn4life

Nov 26, 2016
    So nobody is using the high end ice coolers ?

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    High end ice chests are only effective if you keep them closed. If you're going into an ice chest every few hours, you may as use a paper bag for ice/food storage.

Certainly a high end model would keep ice a bit longer then a low end model, even with repeated opening, but the improvement would probably be marginal, at best. Probably not enough to justify the many additional $'s and no way your going to have ice remaining after 5 days of repeated opening in a 75 degree F environment.

10. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    You're probably better of asking a hunting or camping site.

11. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My opinion is that the expensive coolers’ claim to fame is not as much to ice retention as it is to toughness. If you need a cooler to strap on an ATV and hit the trail and not tear it up if it falls off and you run over it, buy a high dollar one. I use a cheap one in the truck. Throw a bag of ice in it every other day and I’m good.

In all fairness, I’ve never had an expensive one. But I open my cooler quite a bit on hot days and no amount of insulating capacity will overcome that.

Ice is cheap and easily attainable when you fuel.

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.