2000 detoit 60 series injector

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 9200detroit, Dec 4, 2021.

1. 9200detroit

9200detroit Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Im doing an inframe on a 2000 60 series 12.7 and am looking at the injectors, it i got the 3 orings but also have what the book calls an auxiliary seal. The book says to use it if there is suspected or confirmed injector tube leakage, there is a smaller seal that looks like it goes on the nozzle and i think looks like a graphite material, i cant find any information on the smaller seal in the manual. Is the smaller seal an optional one like the auxiliary and if not why was there not one when i pulled the injector

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    If you’re doing an inframe what are you doing to the cylinder head? Are you getting the head done or just replacing the injectors? I would just a getting a reman. cylinder head & keep on trucking

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The cups are prone to damage from the injector pounding on them. You can inspect them and usually see some damage, around the hole.You can try to smooth it out a bit with some emery or a very soft wire brush. Whatever you can get in there. The cups can only be changed with the head off. If you’re reusing the head, and not doing the cups. Use the granite crush seals. It’s considered a band aid repair, usually to avoid pulling the head, along with the larger top O ring. Best to at least get the head pressure tested, I’d want new cups while it’s out. They need to be pressed in. A reman head for $2100 would take the guesswork out of it. A lot of people re use heads if they’re good. All depends on the condition I guess. If it dropped a cylinder and head gasket was leaking or blew out. Better make sure the cylinder deck height protrusions are correct and the heads not damaged.

QUALITYTRUCK and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    They are to be used with a damaged cup. If you do not have a damaged cup,you do not use them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.