2000 Freightliner Century Power steering intermittent

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by vics stuff, Sep 5, 2018.

1. vics stuff

vics stuff Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Hey Guys ! New to this forum. I am a owner operator and mechanic on my own truck.
    Today I started my truck after setting for a couple of months to move it for some maintenance that I want to do the truck. As I started to move forward , I noticed that the steering was very hard to turn, like no power steering. As i turned the wheel , all of a sudden the steering become easy like normal. I stopped turning and the steering became stiff again. As I manually turned the steering wheel back , the steering became normal again.
    As I rock the steering wheel back and forth , there is no power assist then it would start working correctly again.
    while the steering wheel is turning that direction. Every time I stop and start turning the steering is real stiff.
    The fluid level is fine. Everything was working fine when the truck was parked. I did notice some steering fluid started leaking out of the top of the steering box , steering shaft seal. Could I have a steering box valve issue ? That is what it feels like .
    any help for this owner mechanic would be appreciated.
    Vic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Drain and change filter in reservoir fill with red Dextron ATF should fix problem sounds like dirty filter gummed up. After it’s fixed if leak persists drain half fluid put Lucas ps leak fix should buy you some time. Worked for 3 yrs on my truck . Bought used box from junkyard for $100 4 yrs ago . Rebuilt box from shop in Ohio can’t remember name supposed to be good $600

Expeditor Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Maybe kingpins are also dry

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I put 15/40 oil in my old columbia. It healed the whinning. Dont own it anymore.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve always wondered about that all the old trucks used oil. Best answer I can get is some do some dont. I like trans fluid cause it’s clean

8. vics stuff

Sep 5, 2018
    My issue is not with lack of front end lubricant. I completely service my truck every 5k miles. The front end is all new. I did not have any issues when I parked it 2 months ago after a long road trip.
    I will look at the resivoire filter and replace that and give it a try
    Thanks for the tip
    Vic

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s been sitting just saying I sometimes notice an improve after grease

10. vics stuff

Sep 5, 2018
    I will try greasing the front also but seems real strange that the steering was fine when parked.
    Have used some Lucas additive in the system.
    Vic

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Makes sense filter was probably dirty. No one ever changes till there’s a problem I think I’ll change mine it’s been 6 yrs or so. Meanwhile it thickened up around filter.Same reason it will act up when cold lack of flow . First place to check otherwise the gear driven pump is bad easy fix either way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.