2000 W900B with AG100 suspension

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by glmartin, Mar 19, 2020.

1. glmartin

glmartin Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    East Coast
    Hello, I have a 2000 W900B log truck with AG100 suspension and I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade that to the AG400 suspension. Right along with that the question would be, is the AG400 sway bar system more stable side-to-side. That is my main issue with this suspension. I already put in dual leveling valves to help steady it when my load is not quite even from one side to the other and that helped but it seems when I am on a logging road that is rough, it leans side-to-side too much to the extent that my tires will rub the fenders... Any info on this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I briefly owned an AG100 snip I bought for parts. As far as I could tell the center bracket appears to have a different bolt pattern on the 200/400. I believe the wafer bars on the 400 bolt to the axle the same way as on the 100 but I cannot confirm 100%

I don't think you'll gain much in terms of stability going to the 400. Most loggers out in Western Canada are going Neway or Primax for suspension. Walking beam or Chalmers would be the best for stability but ride quality won't be nearly as good as air.

Bean Jr., glmartin and pushbroom Thank this.
  4. glmartin

glmartin Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    East Coast
    Yes, I agree that Neway or Primax would probably be better suited for the job. Just trying to work with what I have for right now. I'm planning to put new bushings in the whole AG100 that I have because it's obviously in need of that anyways and we'll see if that helps out.

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    pushbroom and glmartin Thank this.
  6. glmartin

glmartin Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    East Coast
    Thanks for the info, @spsauerland . I was considering the Timbren kit but wasn't sure how much it would limit the travel. Possibly too much that I would tend to lose some traction on one axle or the other going through a sharp dip. I may have to try them though. Do you have brand or type of material recommendations for bushings? I just ordered some but I'm curious if you have any recommendations.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I prefer rubber, OEM bushings. Original are Clevite/Tenneco bushings. I have found that Dayton parts or Euclid ones are usually OEM ones repackaged with a price savings. Just re-bushed an AG200 that had been converted to AG400 for owner-operator this month. Only slight play. He reported back that truck rides much better and reduced the sway tremendously.

pushbroom and glmartin Thank this.
  8. glmartin

glmartin Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    East Coast
    Sounds good.Euclid bushings is actually what i have coming so we'll see what that does. I'll try to post an update when I have it finished.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    gl, nothing to help with your upgrade, only asking your experience and ability getting around while off road on that suspension?

10. glmartin

glmartin Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2019
    East Coast
    In terms of the way the suspension travels and so forth for offroad, I would say it is a fairly decent suspension. I replumbed the airbags with larger air lines to help with that and I would say that helped a lot. I also changed to dual leveling valves and I think that was a good move for my application. It of course also helps that I'm running full lockers with this setup.. Anything else in particular that you were wondering about on it? Don't know if I helped you at all...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.