2001 Dodge Ram 3500 ELD

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by resqmedx, Oct 3, 2020.

1. resqmedx

resqmedx Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2020
    I am trying to find an ELD for my 2001 Dodge Ram 3500. It still uses the CCD (Chrysler Collision Detection) data system and will not send the MPH, VIN#, engine RPM or hours to most ELDs. Chrysler did not start using the CAN bus system until 2002 and most ELDS don't read CCD. I hear rumors of some that do but it is hard to contact over 600 ELD companies to find out if they do. The ones I have contacted, their salespeople have no idea what their product does (sad). They just say If it doesn't work send it back (after a lot of money and time invested). The FMCSA would exempt me if the engine was produced prior to 2000 but wouldn't you know the production date on it is April 2000 (still doesn't change the fact that it won't talk to my ELD). I've got the problem before the FMSCA now and awaiting a reply. I need to find a solution as this is a good truck and engine and I can't afford to get a different one for a good while.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Welcome to the suck.!
    I'd get a vp44 pump from a 98.5 or 99. Point to that manufacturer sticker & say that the model year engine it came with..

Use the 8 day out of every 30 day exemption over & over..

Do something to keep your head above water for the time being..
    Is my advise legal.? No..

But you can use the 8 out of 30 day exemption legally if you truly only do it 8 days out of every 30..

24kHotshot and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  4. resqmedx

resqmedx Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate your ideas. I have been thinking this problem over. I wonder why they chose the year 2000 to make anything older than that exempt? Are they not aware of the issue with ELD compatibility with Dodge trucks until 2003?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Anything under a class 7 truck was probably never even on their radar.

singlescrewshaker and ZVar Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Or they never expected a Ram to live that long... :)

7. KP38506

KP38506 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2020
    I'm having the same issue. Has FMSCA gotten back to you yet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.