2001 N14 9100. Intermittent dead throttle.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Chadsim93!, May 28, 2019.

1. Chadsim93!

Chadsim93! Bobtail Member

May 28, 2019
    Truck runs great, but has an occasional dead throttle pedal, typically when going highway speeds, but will do it at any speed. I will loose all throttle response and the only way to gain it back is to take it out of gear and let engine go to idle. Then immediately I have total throttle control again. Does this probably every 5-10 miles. Already replaced total throttle peddle assembly. And the camshaft position sensor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It would be best to get it scanned to see what codes are getting logged to better troubleshoot what throttle signal problem the ECM is encountering. You likely have a wiring problem. The OEM harness connects to the rear of the ECM and wraps around at the back of the engine area and then goes up to the right side firewall connector I believe. Run the engine and place something to partially hold the pedal down to raise the rpm and start to gently wiggle and pull on the wire harnesses around the engine and firewall to hopefully recreate your problem and find a bad spot with the wiring.

Chadsim93! Thanks this.
  4. Chadsim93!

May 28, 2019

I will try it out. Thank you

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    N14 fld120
    I have the same problem occasionally.
    I only push clutch pedal until I feel the free play is gone. (This must be far enough to push a switch of some kind).
    Then the motor responds to throttle again.
    This seems to happen once or twice a month.
    Post what your fix is.
    Good luck.

6. Chadsim93!

May 28, 2019
    Alright so finally a little update. After chasing/wiggling all throttle wires I can find to no avail. I can’t ever get it to act up on idle alone. (All the wires and connections look fine too)
    I noticed while driving the truck if I turn the cruise control on and off I can get dead throttle act up more consistently. While I am driving if I loose throttle control I can flip the cruise control switch and gain control back again. Any thoughts on this? I ended up taking the truck to a mechanic. And they suggested doing a total rewire on the pedal assembly . I’m just nervous this could be something else since I can get it to act up with the cruise control.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I think both the cruise and throttle wiring come out of the firewall on the left hand side and cross over behind the engine there with lots of areas for wiring to rub through. Wiring will rub through on the inside of that loom too. It's a tight fit with the air cleaner housing there, so make sure to check all that too, in case you didn't already.

8. Chadsim93!

May 28, 2019
    Thanks I really appreciate your input! At this point I’ll probably just give the mechanic the go ahead to rewire everything then. Really my only concern is that it won’t be the wiring and it’ll just be something simple like a sensor. But since I can’t find anything myself I’ll let my mechanic rewire it. I’ll let everyone know the outcome. Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Wiring and connections are the weak link and the problem most of the time. Running new wires is usually the cheapest repair option too if you are not sure what is causing it.

10. Chadsim93!

May 28, 2019
    Finally salved!! I ended up doing a test run with my mechanic and got the throttle problem to act up a few times and he recommended having my ECM tested. So I sent it in to a lil shop I found in Colorado that repairs n14 ECMs. And sure enough they found an issue with it. They “flashed and recalibrated my ECM” For $200. Got it back and put it on my truck this morning and my problem is totally gone!

xsetra Thanks this.
  11. Chadsim93!

May 28, 2019
    I really appreciate everyone’s input in this

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.