2004 Peterbilt 387 Speedometer Died

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by A5¢, May 24, 2019.

1. Freddy3times

Freddy3times Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019
    That would be your output speed sensor. Unplug the sensor and on the pins( not the connector but pins on trans) test for resistance. Example sensor spec = 2k ohms at 20 degrees C. Reason for the temperature is because a resistance increases with heat.

In a nut shell you speedometer isnt getting its signal. If sensor is good probably the wiring and very unlikly the speedometer has failed. That has a resistance specification too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Just the Guy I need to ask. Would anything besides speedo/ odometer itself cause my odometer not to work. They both quit along with cruise. Changed one sensor fixed speedo, other one fixed cruise. Still no odometer. I’m guessing I need new speedo/ Odom. Anything , aside from a broken wire somewhere? 2000 Classic 12.7 w/ 13 spd. Thanks

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I think your all over it.

I agree a new speedo head is in order. If the speedo works so should the ODO.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    any update

7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Not until next week. We went to Milwaukee to go see the Brewers tomorrow. My girlfriend, her daughter and the grandbabies, are taking me there for my birthday tomorrow. Old geezer. I'll be 60. That's why all of this new fangled electronic crap on trucks is so new to me.

Rideandrepair and Cam Roberts Thank this.
  8. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    happy birthday

pushbroom and A5¢ Thank this.
  9. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
  10. MUSTANGKELLYK69

MUSTANGKELLYK69 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2021
    I can't see the tone ring in mine . You must have a different transmission in yours. Mines a 07 387. And the speedo just bounces around and cruise comes on and shuts off rite away . Did you find the problem

11. MUSTANGKELLYK69

MUSTANGKELLYK69 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2021
    My cruise and speedometer don't work, just bounce around. I changed speedometer head / speed sensor still same problem and cruise comes on the shuts off right away. I'm thinking broken wires or a bad ground. Now the dam Jake brake works when it wants to . Ugh

12. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ll update. I changed the speedometer and now the new odometer works. Ametek brand. Same as original. New face doesn’t match, and OD is digital. New one has dip switches set the same as old. Old one always showed 3 mph faster than actual speed. New one shows 3 mph slower than actual speed. Need to fine tune the dip switches. Otherwise I’m happy with the new one. Old style is obsolete.

13. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Is the trans output yoke loose? Rust around the nut/washer? If so, the tone ring can spin and drop signal. Remove the sensor and see if you can move the tome ring with a pocket screwdriver.

Otherwise suspect wiring issue from VSS to engine ECM.

Can you connect to the ECM and monitor the vehicle speed when it drops? Then you will have a direction to look.

• Truckers Report Jobs