2004 Workstar 7400 SF625 Broken Tube in fuel tank

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by bulletbutter, Jun 17, 2020.

1. bulletbutter

bulletbutter Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Borger, Tx
    Sitting on top of my fuel tank on passenger side is where I have 3 connections of sorts. One is the electrical for the sending unit. The second is connected to what I believe is a vent (the hose connected to it just ends open and hangs around the back of the tank), the last is what goes to either the filter, engine or pump.

When I take a look inside the tank. I see a short piece of metal sitting at the bottom of the tank...I can move it easily but lack a proper tool to get it out of there. Its definitely a tube of some sort, maybe 5"-10" in length but bent 3/4 of the way down at a smooth 90 degree angle. It appears that it somehow broke off from the top of the tank where the "fuel line" pulls from.

I don't know what its purpose is but I suspect it is causing my issues.

When I start the truck, sometimes it struggles to start. When it does start and I let it idle to build up air for my breaks, it sounds like its about to die and starving for fuel. Does anyone have any idea if that broken tube laying in my tank is the reason for this or is someone throwing random stuff in my fuel tank?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    On the top on the tank, you have a pick up line from the sending unit to the engine, a return line, and a vent, as you mentioned, some times the fuel leveling line is on the top or the bottom of the tank. If the pick up line broke off and doesn't go down close to the bottom of the tank, you could run out of fuel before the tank is actually empty. Not sure if that is why you are having idling issues. I don't think anyone is putting stuff in your tank. How low do you gun your fuel level down?

4. bulletbutter

bulletbutter Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Borger, Tx
    The truck almost always gets fuel before it goes under 1/4. However currently its sitting halfway between 1/4 and empty. I am starting to think it may be the fuel pick up line, but it doesn't look like the broken piece is long enough to reach near the bottom of the tank.

I am about to take her and fuel her up and see if a difference in the amount of fuel does anything.

5. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, the pick up like is usually 4" or so off of the bottom of the tank. It could be possible that its starting to suck a little bit of air at the current level.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.